none
Visual Studio 2015 Inoperative after update

Question

• Hello,

I recently submitted to an update that was displayed on my VS screen update list.  I'm not sure which one it was.  There were a couple.  That process took several hours to download and arrange itself.  Since that time VS shuts down and attempts to restart every few minutes.  When I open the tools menu docked on the left VS entirely freezes up and I have to invoke Task Manager to shut it down.  My ASP.net links all show Error 404.0 and when I try to run the simplest program it shuts down.  Can you please give me some help

Thanks

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 2:17 AM

Answers

• I need to reinstall VS 2015.  I have a product Key but it is a complete mystery to me how to do this.  Can you suggest the correct process?

• Marked as answer by Geol4549 Saturday, November 19, 2016 7:51 PM
    Saturday, November 19, 2016 5:20 PM

All replies

• I had a similar issue - I could not resolve it - trying to go back to a previous set point just made things worse, in the end I had to do a fresh install of Windows and everything else, not very happy about that but it did fix the problem.
    Wednesday, November 16, 2016 10:59 PM
  • Thanks. I'm holding out for something from Microsoft associated personnel.  Unless that proves to be unreaslistic.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 11:21 PM
  • Hi Geol4549,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Please go to Control Panel—Programs and Features and right click the VS 2015 item, Change-Repair, it will repair the VS issue once it found. After that, reopen VS and check this issue again.

There are some factors that may be caused the VS cannot work, please have a try with the following to troubleshot this issue:

1. Run VS 2015 in safe mode using the command: devenv /SafeMode in the elevated command prompt, it prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts. If it works fine, which means the specific installed extensions may be corrupted the VS, please go to Tool—Extensions and Updates… and remove all installed extensions one by one to find the culprit.

2. Open the VS 2015 installation location, usually locates C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE, run the following commands in the elevated command prompt:

• devenv /ResetSettings: Restores the IDE's default settings, optionally resets to the specified VSSettings file.
    • devenv /ResetAddin: Removes commands and command UI associated with the specified Add-in.
    • devenv /ResetSkipPkgs: it will make VS to load the skipped packages while launching VS.
    • devenv /resetuserdata: clear up the old user data

After each command, re-open your VS as the admin, test this issue again.

3. Go to windows updates, make sure all pending patches already installed and reboot the computer to excludes the pending patches affect this issue.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 17, 2016 6:15 AM
  • Thank you for your reply. I will follow your recommendations and let you know how it works.

Russell Fisher

Thursday, November 17, 2016 11:48 PM
  • Sara,

I've followed your recommendations and I am unable to run VS2015 in safe mode.  Does this mean I have to reinstall VS?

Russell

Saturday, November 19, 2016 1:13 PM
  • I need to reinstall VS 2015.  I have a product Key but it is a complete mystery to me how to do this.  Can you suggest the correct process?

• Marked as answer by Geol4549 Saturday, November 19, 2016 7:51 PM
    Saturday, November 19, 2016 5:20 PM
  • Hi Russell,

I'm so glad to hear that your issue is solved and thank you very much for your sharing, it will help other community member who have the same or similar issue.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 21, 2016 2:43 AM