Is there a way to remove an update installed by WEDU? RRS feed

• Question

• Scenario: 2 images, same answer file, The later image has performance issues with WPF.

Any post install drivers are exactly the same between both versions.

The only difference is that according to WEDU, the following 6 updates were applied between the generation of "working" and "broken". 

One of them should be guilty, but none of them scream "we will make WPF suck at 60fps" (A 15 second file takes 15 seconds to play when working, but can only play 12.5 when broken.)

Of course, if anyone knows how to make WPF unsuck, suck faster or tell me what its unhappy about, that would be a welcome bonus.

It should also be noted I am grasping at straws. I have 2 SSDs, one working, one not.

1. KB2691442 "windows shell"
    2. KB2719177 "IE9"
    3. KB2719985 "XML Core"
    4. KB2718523 "Kernel Priv elev MS12-047"
    5. KB2698365 "MDAC"
    6. KB2655992 "TLS"

I do not see an option in WEDU to "uninstall" an update. Am I looking at a complete reinstall here?

=^x^=

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 11:51 AM

Answers

• My devmachine is offline, but it also should work to delete the folders/packages from the DS and than rebuild the DS with importpackage(s).exe (in the WES7 Toolkit folder).

Windows Embedded Developer and Scripting Guy //Germany (Preparing a blog about Windows Embedded Standard)

• Marked as answer by P 'Bunny' E Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:12 AM
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 5:47 PM

All replies

• WEDU adds the Distribution share, but doesn't take away. Can you remove the updates form the answer file so they don't get built in?

The alternative - You could copy off the current distribution share and re-install so you have a clean DS.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 4:30 PM
  • My devmachine is offline, but it also should work to delete the folders/packages from the DS and than rebuild the DS with importpackage(s).exe (in the WES7 Toolkit folder).

Windows Embedded Developer and Scripting Guy //Germany (Preparing a blog about Windows Embedded Standard)

• Marked as answer by P 'Bunny' E Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:12 AM
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 5:47 PM
  • I checked the answer file. These updates do not appear in the answer file at all.

I tried removing the updates from the USB and rebuilding the index. No luck. I still only get 11.x seconds of the 15 second video.

Next I am going to try the "reinstall the DS" option. 

I really don't understand what this application is doing wrong or why some KB changed how it works. It's playing videos, presumably using Media Foundation at 60 fps (which one guesses is now actually slightly less than that. Implying about 30% slower...

Ok, reinstalled the DS. compare and contrast time.

There are two KB's missing this time around. 

1. KB2656373 .net related
    2. KB2667402 RDP related

No fix. Something magical has happened. It's still 30% slower and consumes more cpu. 

I tried checking for which KB's are installed using:

wmic qfe list 

for both working and broken. No difference.

Anywhere else I can go looking for mysterious differences?

=^x^=

• Edited by P 'Bunny' E Wednesday, August 15, 2012 9:01 AM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:13 AM
  • After much stressing and searching it appears the culprit is...

Windows Media Player using DirectX acceleration 

_AND_

Intel graphics drivers.

8.15.10.2622, acceleration works, 15 second video plays for 15 seconds.

8.15.10.2761, acceleration DOESN'T work, 15 second video plays between 11.5 and 12.5 seconds.

turning off acceleration makes it work, but at the cost of doubling CPU.

So I think this is a case of Intel Awesome(TM).

=^x^=

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 11:39 AM