LDAP connection help DirectoryService Information ?? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1831219222 posted

Hi,

I have a textbox. When I type the name in this textbox the related information should be popup from the 'DirectoryServices' look up.

I use this code below and I have some error:

DirectoryEntry publicDir = new DirectoryEntry(LDAP://mydomain/OU=..,DC=metadirectory,DC=..,DC=..,DC=..);

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>for (int i = 97; i <= 122; i++)

{

<o:p></o:p>string firstLetter = Convert.ToChar(i).ToString();

<o:p></o:p>DirectorySearcher ds = new DirectorySearcher(publicDir, "(&(departmentnumber=xxxx)(sn=" + firstLetter + "*))");

<o:p></o:p>SearchResultCollection coll = ds.FindAll();

<o:p></o:p>foreach (SearchResult sr in coll)<o:p></o:p>{

<o:p></o:p>DirectoryEntry dr = sr.GetDirectoryEntry();

response.writeline(dr.Properties["sn"].Value + " " + dr.Properties["givenname"].Value);<o:p></o:p>dr.Dispose();<o:p></o:p>}<o:p></o:p>}<o:p></o:p>publicDir.Dispose();<o:p></o:p> 

<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>The error is:<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>no overload for method ‘DictionaryEntry’ takes 1 arguments- in the first line of code:

<o:p></o:p>DirectoryEntry publicDir = new DirectoryEntry(LDAP://mydomain/OU=..,DC=metadirectory,DC=..,DC=..,DC=..);

<o:p></o:p>And can’t convert from ‘system.collections.DictionaryEntry’ to ’system.DirectoryServices.DictionaryEntry’ in this line:

<o:p></o:p>DirectorySearcher ds = new DirectorySearcher(publicDir, "(&(departmentnumber=xxxx)(sn=" + firstLetter + "*))");<o:p></o:p>

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks, 

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:15 PM

All replies

• User-1682309430 posted

The error suggests that you might be using "DictionaryEntry" instead of "DirectoryEntry" some where in the source file. Verify. It may solve the issue.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 2:53 AM
  • User-1831219222 posted

I updated my code:

protected void Button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)

{

str = txtID.Text;

DirectoryEntry publicDir = new DirectoryEntry("LDAP://domain/OU=people,DC=metadirectory,DC=..,DC=...,DC=edu");

DirectorySearcher ds = new DirectorySearcher(publicDir, "(id=" + str + ")");

SearchResultCollection coll = ds.FindAll();

foreach (SearchResult sr in coll)

{

DirectoryEntry dr = sr.GetDirectoryEntry();

StringDictionary stDir = new StringDictionary();

foreach (string key in dr.Properties)

{

stDir.Add(key, dr.Properties[key].ToString());

}

GridView1.DataSource = stDir;

GridView1.DataBind();

dr.Dispose();

}

publicDir.Dispose();

}

Now the problem is:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: The specified directory service attribute or value does not exist.

in this line

SearchResultCollection coll = ds.FindAll();

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 2:01 PM
  • User773050858 posted

The error specifies that the root directory object and/or its children doesnt have such attribute/value pair i.e. the (id="value") pair. To make successful search use the correct attribute names. Verify which attribute you have to compare and get the result.

Hope this helps!

Thursday, February 19, 2009 3:26 AM