Upload pictures not working RRS feed

• Question

• User1580188153 posted

HI, I am hoping you can help. I have download the starter kit and the whole webiste is working fine. I can have the pictures uploaded to the dtabase and these show on the webiste.

When I upload to the upload folder, the pictures will not display on the website and also everytime I upload a new ad and pictures it replaces the ones in the Upload folder. I have made no changes to scripts as I have just taken it straight from the download.

I am sure it is a simple answer and would welcome the solution, as I want to use the upload folder and not the database.

Thanks

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 7:33 PM

Answers

• User1580188153 posted

HI , well that has done it, it appears that either the download I had was corrupt or that the beta version available on MS webiste does not work with upload folder, I think we might no which is the way.

Thanks again

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, August 1, 2008 4:21 AM

All replies

• User730446648 posted

Really it depends on your host providers settings, but most likely it's a permissions issue.

At least that was the issue on godaddy.

You just need to give your upload folder read and write permissions.

As far as the over writing, it goes in order, so if the database increment online is at 10, and you upload 10, 11, 12, and 13 to the folder via ftp, then when you use your site to upload photos, they will be overwritten.

Good Luck

Thursday, July 31, 2008 12:18 AM
  • User1580188153 posted

Thanks for the update - I have not got the website hosted yet on Godaddy or anything like that, it is running local.

Let me try an explain the situation again then. In the Upload folder when you post an ad the picture gets created 3 times, 1 x small , 1 x Medium, 1 x Large, so that it can bring back the size appropriate for the web page. My problem is that not only does the folder come back saying not able to show the picture, but when I load another ad to the website it overwrites the previous images. So all I have in the upload folder are 3 files and now showing the new add picture.

Does that make sense?

Thursday, July 31, 2008 6:04 AM
  • User730446648 posted

Your statement makes sense, but the problem does not.

It should work right away.

First, right click on one of the pictures and see what url it is trying to use.

By the way it uses a redirect for the images, so when you right click and go to properties you will see a photodisplay.aspx, or something like that.

Copy that url and paste it in your browser and hit enter, it should now show you the actual location of the image.

Is it right??

You could also try checking the other coding format, vb or cs, from the unmodified kit.

Something simple is missing.

Good Luck

Daniel

Thursday, July 31, 2008 9:05 AM
  • User1580188153 posted

HI, Sorry still me and a little confussed like you. The link on the picture is http://localhost:1927/advert%20webiste/PhotoDisplay.ashx? and http://localhost:1927/advert%20webiste/ShowAd.aspx?id=2

Which yes makes references to the ad ID, but I still get no pictuire, as the photo's appear to not be stored in the upload folder, just last image saved.

I have tried something else. I have looked at the SQl tables and found the Photo ID and Ad ID and changed the 3 images in the Upload folder, to have the prefix of the PhotID.

Example:- 5.Md.jpg

Now when I run the web applicartion I can now see the image. But when I go to upload a new image it puts a new picture in with the following picture ID "0.Md.jpg", so it does not seem to sequencing the images in line with the ID of the ad. Also before it would just over write the picture, because it thinks it is trying to put ad 0 on again.

Should I just try re-installing the whole web site again.screen shot

Thursday, July 31, 2008 9:37 AM
  • User1580188153 posted

I have re-installed the web site from the down load and it is still doing the same problem. It to be just giving it a 0 as an ID to the photo and hence then it is not picking it up.

Any thought would be grateful.............................

Thursday, July 31, 2008 11:46 AM
  • User730446648 posted

I downloaded a fresh class.vsi, and I did absolutley nothing to the code, and it works.

I registered, posted, and uploaded photo.

It worked.

One oddity I noticed is that the new downloaded kit is not the most recent, it's says beta.

It should say final, with a august 2008 date.

What code do you perfer vb or cs?

I'll open a final version, load a couple test ads with pictures, wrap it, and send it to you.

Then you can check it on your end.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 12:59 PM
  • User1580188153 posted

Great minds thin alike, i noticed it said beta which normally puts me of straight away. I would like VB if that is OK, how will you send it to me?

Thursday, July 31, 2008 1:25 PM
  • User730446648 posted

Check your email, I sent you the final version.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 7:09 PM
  • User1580188153 posted

HI , well that has done it, it appears that either the download I had was corrupt or that the beta version available on MS webiste does not work with upload folder, I think we might no which is the way.

Thanks again

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, August 1, 2008 4:21 AM
  • User751963951 posted

Where abouts is this beta version? could you please post the url

Regards

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 3:58 AM