none
Network unreachable on Windows server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm having a bizarre issue with on of our servers (HP DL380 G5 with on-board Broadcom BCM5708C II):

The server was recently re-installed with Windows 2008 R2 (SP1).
    After the installation completed successfully, I started seeing this behaviour:

When pinging the server (from another computer on the same network), I get about 60% packet losses.
    It basically replies to pings for about 5 seconds, then stops replying for about 10 seconds (very random).
    On the other hand, if I ping anything (external or internal IPs) from that server, it works fine (100% successful pings).

This is what I have done so far:

• Upgraded the Broadcom network interface with the latest firmware.
    • Upgraded the drivers with the latest version from HP first, then from Broadcom too.
    • Installed an additional network card in the server (Broadcom BCM5709C) and saw exactly the same behaviour!
    • Installed an additional network card in the server, but this time with an INTEL chipset, and it works fine.
    • Re-installed the operating system.
    • Re-installed the operating system, but as a Windows 2008 R2 Core server.

So far no joy, I get the same results no matter what I do:
    The broadcom chipset based cards do not want to work (no problem on the Intel chipset).

With the above results, I have ruled out the following potential problems:

• MAC conflict: Since i tried 4 different cards, MAC conflict would be a statistical abnomally.
    • IP conflict: it works fine with the same IP address if I use the Intel card.
    • Cabling problem/switch port problem: same as above (it works with the Intel card)
    • Firmware issue: I installed two different broadcom cards with different firmware (the additional card was running an older firmware).

The only thing I could think of is the driver, but since I tried to upgrade the driver to the latest version from HP and Broadcom, it seems unlikely.

Next, I'm going to try to install Windows 2008R2 without SP1 and see if that changes anything.
    Meanwhile, any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you,

Stephane

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 6:27 AM

All replies

• I tried to install Windows 2008R2 without SP1, but I'm still getting the same results.

I also tried to downgrade the firmware on the on-board card... no joy.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 1:10 AM