migrating from ingres 6.4 to sql server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I’m looking at exporting ingress 6.4 database data running on Solaris 10 to MS SQL server 2008R2 since we are decommissioning the old ingres 6.4 databases.

Currently I am successful at transferring data from ingres 9.2 databases to sql server using the ingress 9.2 client component which I installed on a windows sql server box. I configured the vnode info using ingres network utility (netutil).

However, I have had no success connecting to ingres 6.4 using netutil. Can anyone help point me in the right direction. Might guess is the vnode setup on Ingres is the problem but I do not know what commands to run to check.

Basically I'm using SQL import wizard to import the data using Ingres ODBC drivers.

Thanks,
    Thong
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 12:52 AM

Answers

• Hi w,

We need to verify setting up a full client Ingres installation and configuring Net on both the client and server before exporting ingress 6.4 database data to SQL server. 

If using the netutil to set up general access, we should create a virtual node with virtual node name, login/password and connection data.

In addition, if necessary, on the server, use netutil's test menu option to see if the connection works. If it does, you can access a remote database in the following manner:
     $ sql <virtual node name>::<database name>
    There is one article about introduction Ingres, we can review this topics.
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/IngresII-HOWTO/net.html

Thanks,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Sofiya Li Friday, July 19, 2013 3:01 AM form
    • Marked as answer by Sofiya Li Saturday, July 27, 2013 9:47 AM
    Friday, July 19, 2013 3:00 AM
  • Thanks Sofiya. Right now I don't have access on the unix side to check. Also the team wants to progress using ingres export utilty and import into sql server using text files. I still think connecting via odbc and using import/export wizard is the best option.

Thong

• Proposed as answer by Sofiya Li Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:15 AM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:11 AM

All replies

• Hi w,

We need to verify setting up a full client Ingres installation and configuring Net on both the client and server before exporting ingress 6.4 database data to SQL server. 

If using the netutil to set up general access, we should create a virtual node with virtual node name, login/password and connection data.

In addition, if necessary, on the server, use netutil's test menu option to see if the connection works. If it does, you can access a remote database in the following manner:
     $ sql <virtual node name>::<database name>
    There is one article about introduction Ingres, we can review this topics.
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/IngresII-HOWTO/net.html

Thanks,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Sofiya Li Friday, July 19, 2013 3:01 AM form
    Friday, July 19, 2013 3:00 AM
  • Thanks Sofiya. Right now I don't have access on the unix side to check. Also the team wants to progress using ingres export utilty and import into sql server using text files. I still think connecting via odbc and using import/export wizard is the best option.

Thong

• Proposed as answer by Sofiya Li Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:15 AM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:11 AM
  • Hi Thong,

I am in process of migration Ingres 9.2 to SQL Server. I would appreciate if you can share the document on how to migrate ingres 9.2 to sql server.

Thanks in advance

Karthik

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 11:26 AM
  • The project didn't go ahead Karthik. I believe I tried below and managed to import some tables

http://community.actian.com/wiki/ODBC_on_64_-_Bit_Windows

Thursday, November 6, 2014 5:54 AM
  • Thank you very much Thong.

I would appreciate if you can provide any links or documents related to this migration.

Karthik

Thursday, November 6, 2014 6:53 AM