none
Neither .NET Framework 3.5 NOR 4.7 will turn on RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Lenovo Think Pad (2017) that came with Windows 10 64bit installed.  I have accessed Windows Features and see that .Net Framework 3.5 and 4.7 are both there, but not turned on.  When I try to activate 3.5, I get a popup that is titled "Searching for required files" and a bar below where the green is streaming across; however, it streams for hours and hours and locks up my laptop. The "cancel" bar bottom right is greyed out so I cannot use it.  Clicking the X in the upper right does not close the pop-up either, nor does clicking "close all windows" from my task bar.

Ultimately I have to shut the laptop down for 15-20 minutes.  Restart just brings the "Searching for required files" window right back.

I REALLY do not want to reload windows, only .NET Framework.  I do not have a Windows 10 app on disk or flash.  My laptop seems to work okay except to print to .pdf and to process updates.

I have read everything I can find about this and would appreciate help to fix it or get it fixed.  I do have coverage from Best Buy's Geek Squad, but I don't want to take it if I can fix this.

Thank you,

Jan

Monday, April 2, 2018 2:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What happens when .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.7 is not turned on? or Why do you want to turn them on?

Regards,

Ashidacchi -- http://hokusosha.com/

Monday, April 2, 2018 11:28 PM
  • Hi Jan,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Go into RegEdit and set the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU folder.  DoubleClick on UseWUServer(UseWindowsUpdateServer) and change the value to 0. You need to restart your PC and active .net framework 3.5 again.

Besides, you can have a look at Install the .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 10, Windows 8.1, and Windows 8.

You can try installing it using your Windows installation media. For more information, see Deploy .NET Framework 3.5 by using Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM). If you don't have the installation media, see Create installation media for Windows.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 3:18 AM
  • Hi Jan,

What about this issue? Do you resolve this issue?

Actually my suggestion is that not turn off the .NET, you know that some projects or software in your windows depend on .NET Framework. If you turn off it, maybe it will impact apps' running.

Anyway, if you get any latest information, feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 1:57 AM