Allow windows metro app to use more than 150MB memory

Question

• Hello,

My app is using more than 150MB memory and in doing some elements freeze. See my previous question:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8bd128b5-a386-406a-819d-20674a10de26/leaflet-in-windows-8-rt-javascript-app-freezes-on-zoom?forum=winappswithhtml5

I analyzed the memory and the method that is causing the high usage can't be altered. So i want to increase the allowed memory for this app. I can find examples for windows phone:http://dailydotnettips.com/2013/11/13/how-to-increase-memory-usage-for-an-app-in-windows-phone/

But i can't find any for metro apps.

Does anyone here know how to increase the maximum allowed memory for a metro app?

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 10:23 AM

Answers

• Hello

Problem solved, the issue was due to a bug in the 3rd party library.

https://github.com/Leaflet/Leaflet/issues/2693#issuecomment-45242820

Regards

Ian

• Marked as answer by Ian De Herdt Friday, October 3, 2014 8:20 AM
    Friday, October 3, 2014 8:19 AM

All replies

• 150 Mb is not a system limitation on Windows Store apps - the previous post is incorrect in saying that. If you will post a project showing the issue, we'll look into it.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 12:38 PM
  • Hello,

I've constructed a demo app, but its around 1GB of data. What is the best way to get it to you?

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 9:11 AM
  • Post it on Onedrive.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 1:09 PM
  • Ive posted it on onedrive. How do i share it with you? Do i need your email adres?
    Wednesday, March 19, 2014 10:08 PM
  • Post the link here so others in the community can help and learn as well.

If you need individual help you can create a case at http://aka.ms/storesupport

Thursday, March 20, 2014 12:44 AM
  • http://1drv.ms/1hF8TWJ
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:12 AM
  • The way to test it:

Open the project and publish it to a device with touch capabilities. Next go to the localstate folder of the application and place the contents of the test files folder there. Next run the app on the device and start zooming in and out very very quickly within the minute it should freeze. if you press the refresh button at the top the map should become responsive once again.

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:22 AM
  • Some additional information that is mentioned in my primary post but might be looked over in this one: The freeze never occurs in debug mode.
    Friday, March 21, 2014 9:50 AM
  • Hello,

Did you manage to get the project up and running?

thanks

Ian

Monday, March 31, 2014 7:05 AM
  • I'm downloading the app now, it's taking a while to get it.

Monday, March 31, 2014 1:27 PM
  • I tried this but don't see what's going on. I tried zooming in/out with the pinch gesture but I never see anything happen nor does the memory increase when I do this.

Something about the repro steps concerns me:  you say that when you press the refresh button, it again becomes responsive. That makes it sound like you're simply overloading the memory somehow and then it goes out of scope with a refresh, so it again becomes available.

What is the app doing?

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 2:20 PM
  • I'm not completely sure on what you mean by nothing happens. Did you see the map?  When you pinch zoom in very very frequently the map freezes. In my full app which is a single page application with many of those maps the problem happens more often. The app i've send you just loads offline map tiles into leaflet. The refresh button navigates away from the page and that seems to unlock the map.

Sometimes the freeze happens within the first pinch. So i doubt that it is a memory issue. It only happens while not debugging, this last thing confuses me the most.

Monday, April 7, 2014 2:04 PM
  • Hello,

I did some more research. I've tested the app on another device, a dell venue 11 (win 8.1 pro, atom processor) and a samsung tablet (win 8 pro, i5 processor). On these devices the map stutters. This is not the case on my panasonic toughbook (win 8.1 pro, i5 processor). Maybe these issues are related?

Regards

Ian

Monday, April 14, 2014 8:08 AM
  • Hello

Problem solved, the issue was due to a bug in the 3rd party library.

https://github.com/Leaflet/Leaflet/issues/2693#issuecomment-45242820

Regards

Ian

• Marked as answer by Ian De Herdt Friday, October 3, 2014 8:20 AM
    Friday, October 3, 2014 8:19 AM