Can not start VS2012 graphics debugger on DX11 sample apps - App did not launch within its allotted time

Question

• Hey all - I just upgraded to VS2012 and wanted to checkout the new PIX replacement - Graphics Debugger. I loaded up a sample app that comes with the Win8 SDK (the Direct3DTutorial Lesson1.Basics one) and did Alt-F5 to start the debugger.  Every time, I get "App did not launch within its allotted time", which crashes devenv.exe (I have Updates 1 and 2 installed).

Does anyone know what I can do about this? Is this only  a problem debugging windows store apps? Does anyone else get this problem?

Thanks!

Saturday, February 16, 2013 3:58 AM

Answers

• I finally solved the problem!  The solution on this page worked:

http://superuser.com/questions/432859/metro-apps-crash-on-startup-driver-or-permissions-issue

Basically, you need to give 'ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES' full control to various locations, using the Folder->Properties->security tab.  I havn't got around to checking all the exact locations, but adding the security permissions to the entire C: drive fixes the problem with Graphics Debugger.

Update: Seems like it just needed access to the Visual Studio install directory. Possibly only affected me because I don't install things to the default locations.

• Marked as answer by MadoxLabs1 Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:54 AM
    • Edited by MadoxLabs1 Thursday, February 21, 2013 4:56 AM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:54 AM

All replies

• I have more information about this problem. I tried using the CaptureCurrentFrame() call as a workaround, and was told that the Graphics Debugger couldn't work because of an 'unsupported directx version'. Looking into this, I found this page:

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/775049/visual-studio-2012-graphics-debugging-blocked-by-wpf

'If your working on an application which uses DirectX integrated in WPF (possible through D3DImage-Class), PIX as well as Visual Studio 2012´s Graphics Debugger aren´t able to track any data.'

I don't know if this is related to the reason why apps don't launch within its allotted time when Graphics Debugger is used. If anyone knows more, please let me know.

Saturday, February 16, 2013 6:11 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your feedback, I will involve more experts to investigate it.

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, February 18, 2013 8:03 AM
  • Hi,

I cannot reproduce your problem. My system are VS 2012 Update 1 run on Windows 8 inside Hyper-V.

I try both Graphics debugger on local machine and simulator and both work perfectly. Maybe you can check from event log which might be have more information about it also can run dxdiag.exe.

Other things maybe try disable antivirus to exclude it as cause.

Regards,
    Christian HL
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:33 AM
  • That is interesting. You tried the same tutorial app, the Direct3DTutorial Lesson1.Basics one?  The graphics debugger works for me for win32 apps but not metro apps. I tried using the simulator and got the same problem. DxDiag says no problems, I have no antivirus or firewall turned on. My system that I am running VS on and deploying to is a Surface Pro, but I don't expect that to matter.

I think that launching within an allotted time should be waived for development purposes.

Hopefully you have some more ideas. I'll try to recreate it on a desktop machine.

The details from event viewer are:

Activation of app Microsoft.SDKSamples.Direct3DTutorialLesson5.CPP_8wekyb3d8bbwe!Direct3DTutorial.Lesson5.Components.App failed with error: The app didn't start. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell" Guid="{315A8872-923E-4EA2-9889-33CD4754BF64}" />
      <EventID>5973</EventID>
      <Version>0</Version>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>5973</Task>
      <Opcode>0</Opcode>
      <Keywords>0x2000000000000000</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-02-19T18:50:41.996577800Z" />
      <EventRecordID>4664</EventRecordID>
      <Correlation />
      <Execution ProcessID="4428" ThreadID="4588" />
      <Channel>Application</Channel>
      <Computer>MadoxSurface</Computer>
      <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-814326466-3333947993-2096447193-1001" />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data Name="AppId">Microsoft.SDKSamples.Direct3DTutorialLesson5.CPP_8wekyb3d8bbwe!Direct3DTutorial.Lesson5.Components.App</Data>
      <Data Name="ErrorCode">-2144927141</Data>
      </EventData>

</Event>

-----------------------------------------------

and the VS2012 crash

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="Application Error"
    />
      <EventID
    Qualifiers
    ="0">1000</EventID>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>100</Task>
      <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-02-19T18:50:43.000000000Z" />
      <EventRecordID>4665</EventRecordID>
      <Channel>Application</Channel>
      <Computer>MadoxSurface</Computer>
      <Security />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data>devenv.exe</Data>
      <Data>11.0.60115.1</Data>
      <Data>50f532bb</Data>
      <Data>KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
      <Data>6.2.9200.16451</Data>
      <Data>50988950</Data>
      <Data>e0434352</Data>
      <Data>00014b32</Data>
      <Data>894</Data>
      <Data>01ce0ed1fab311bd</Data>
      <Data>C:\madox\apps\dev\VS2012\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe</Data>
      <Data>C:\windows\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
      <Data>42ac3274-7ac5-11e2-be7c-6045bdd3ba72</Data>
      <Data />
      <Data />
      </EventData>
      </Event>

• Edited by MadoxLabs1 Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:05 PM
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:05 PM
  • Hi,

Yes this is the link that I use: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Direct3D-Tutorial-Sample-08667fb0, my suggestion is try to update driver for Surface Pro including optional update (check on Windows Update from Control Panel).

And try to update VS to latest one (Update 2 CTP 3). As I mentioned before that I use VS Update 1 only, but I don't know if that make different, its just because Update 2 still CTP version.

Regards,
    Christian HL
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:17 AM
  • Last night I installed a new install of Win8 on a desktop PC, and only installed VS2012, windows sdk, update 1, all the windows updates/drivers, and tried to use the example code you linked (which is the same example I used before).  Graphics Debugger still refuses to work for me and says the app did not start within its allotted time.  (I'm gonna assume devenv crashing was due to update 2 and ignore it)

Graphics Debugger does work great on desktop apps, its just windows store apps that it seems to fail on (I tried several different codebases) and I don't understand how you got it to work.  

Going forward, I will make sure my apps work in desktop and windows store modes and know that I can only use graphics debugger in desktop mode. 

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:21 PM
  • I finally solved the problem!  The solution on this page worked:

http://superuser.com/questions/432859/metro-apps-crash-on-startup-driver-or-permissions-issue

Basically, you need to give 'ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES' full control to various locations, using the Folder->Properties->security tab.  I havn't got around to checking all the exact locations, but adding the security permissions to the entire C: drive fixes the problem with Graphics Debugger.

Update: Seems like it just needed access to the Visual Studio install directory. Possibly only affected me because I don't install things to the default locations.

• Marked as answer by MadoxLabs1 Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:54 AM
    • Edited by MadoxLabs1 Thursday, February 21, 2013 4:56 AM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:54 AM
  • I had not been having this problem but just started experiencing it (I have VS2012 installed to the D: drive). I applied the suggested resolution (give the ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES account full control permissions for the VS2012 directory) and it worked like a charm. Just wanted to say thanks for posting it!

XNA/DirectX MVP | Website | Blog | @mikebmcl

Friday, February 22, 2013 2:00 AM