Gosh, people, would you please just stop with that annoying Win8 bashing?!

General discussion

• Really. This is nothing but ludricous. It is like "I want my command prompt back! How dare you!"

Haven't you noticed yet that there is a certain, very special connection between "us" and "them", "them" being C´3 aka IOS/OSX? "Them" did the hard work, "us" are getting the benefit. No more Flash? GOOD. No more Silverlight? Get real, people, Silverlight has always been a stillbirth. (Btw, not to spread a rumour, just presuming: add WPF to that list. Oh, you spent like a fortune to learn SL/WPF / hire SL/WPF developers / blah? Well. Learn reading the signs.)

And learn listening to your developer crew. They could have told you that SL (and WPF) suck. But, oh, no, you spent money like a ______, and now you feel like steamrolled and are, oh, so crestfallen. Poor you. Citing myself: Learn reading the signs.

WTF... Your lamentation sucks.

Friday, September 16, 2011 8:44 PM

All replies

• On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 20:44:04 +0000, CPosingies wrote:

No offense intended but your post is no more helpful than that of those
    whining and complaining, actually, come to think about probably far less
    helpful since at least some of the whiners and complainers are at least
    offering suggestions on what they'd like to see in place of what they're
    currently seeing.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    K:  A term used in employment ads to disguise how much they are really
    willing
    to pay.

Friday, September 16, 2011 8:47 PM
  • You're pretty short-sighted if anything.
    As for SL / WPF... de gustibus non est disputadum - Don't argue over taste :)

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    • Edited by Dylan-Meeus Friday, September 16, 2011 8:56 PM Typo
    Friday, September 16, 2011 8:54 PM
  • @Dylan: Well, "they" took 16-bit support away, right? They took VB away, right? It is always and always the same story. As soon as a techology is about to pay its debt to nature, somebody starts crying and complaining. I admit, SL's lifecycle was kind of short. But regarding many other technologies people have been mourning, are mourning, will be mourning soon, their times have come. I'm sure there's an English equivalent to the German "Nicht die Großen fressen die Kleinen, sondern die Schnellen fressen die Langsamen". It means something like "it is the quick that devour the slow rather than the large devouring the small". If you're too slow to keep track with the rapid change in nowadays technologies, maybe you'd consider working on smaller projects, selling smaller products so you'll have the time to learn new techologies and move towards them instead of mourning.

That's all I wanted to say. Except one more thing: some people seem to have problems with change in general. Many posts in threads I've been following back then when it was clear that VB was about to die sounded less like "we are going to lose money" but more like "I don't want to learn something new, and I don't want to rewrite my code". But times they are a-changing, and they won't stop changing in the future.

For an individual, there's always another job around the corner. There are still tons of VB code, Clipper code, COBOL code out there that need to be taken care of. For a company, I'd say, time is running out.

Regards,

Carsten

Monday, September 19, 2011 5:37 PM
  • If my "developer team" were to tell me that multitasking is dead and my desktop needs to look like the phone they spend $150/mo for access to non-productive visual stimulation and social networking, I'd fire them all the same day in a group meeting.

And I'd refuse to allow them access to unemployment funds as well, the state doesn't have a category for "too stupid to work let alone breathe", so I guess I'd have to file it under "willfull abandonment of job requirements".

DAS

Monday, September 19, 2011 5:55 PM
  • Many men, many minds. Personally I fancy the new Metro look and think that this way of UI provides far better abstraction and usability. That is how the new-era UI should look like. Plain, simple and highly usable. Have you had a chance to work with Metro? I you had, you'd realize how easier it's now to work (!) and not to manage the environment. Forget about need to manage your environment, just work.

That's how I see the new UI. Productive. I fully understand that expressed is my personal feel and does not necessarily has to deal with any other's.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Monday, September 19, 2011 7:23 PM
  • Really. This is nothing but ludricous. It is like "I want my command prompt back! How dare you!"

Haven't you noticed yet that there is a certain, very special connection between "us" and "them", "them" being C´3 aka IOS/OSX? "Them" did the hard work, "us" are getting the benefit. No more Flash? GOOD. No more Silverlight? Get real, people, Silverlight has always been a stillbirth. (Btw, not to spread a rumour, just presuming: add WPF to that list. Oh, you spent like a fortune to learn SL/WPF / hire SL/WPF developers / blah? Well. Learn reading the signs.)

And learn listening to your developer crew. They could have told you that SL (and WPF) suck. But, oh, no, you spent money like a ______, and now you feel like steamrolled and are, oh, so crestfallen. Poor you. Citing myself: Learn reading the signs.

You see "annoying bashing", I see people who have used the preview and have some concerns.

Last time I checked, this is a forum to deliver feedback to microsoft about their product.

I see praising and criticism.  It's what this forum is for.

The only "annoying bashing" going on here seems to be coming from you.

Monday, September 19, 2011 9:07 PM