none
Disable Edit and Continue in C++ multi-project solution in VS 2015 Community

Question

• I have a C++ code from ConcRT Samples (I believe it is from Microsoft.) I am trying to build in in VS 2015 Community Update 1 on machine running Windows 7 Pro.

The C++ ConcRT solution includes many C++ projects.

In each project linker option for incremental linking is enabled.

As I learnt the Edit and Continue linker option in VS 2015 is enabled by default.

When I trying to build some particular project in Debug configuration for Win32, I am getting warning LNK4075:

LNK4075: ignoring '/EDITANDCONTINUE' due to '/SAFESEH' specification

I do not need /EDITANDCONTINUE, so I went to 'Debug\Options' and unchecked the 'Enable Edit and Continue' to no effect; if I disable Incremental Linking, the warning continues to surface due to other specifications.

I know that this warning does no harm, and it might be disabled anyway, but I would like to eliminate a reason for it in the code or project settings.

My question is: how to selectively disable /EDITANDCONTINUE in VS2015 Community on per project basis in multi-project C++ solution?

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 2:50 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Geoyar,

Thanks for your post.

If disable the option of "Enable Edit and Continue". The warning still exist.

In this case, I suggest you could try the workaround which shared by nobugz in the following thread:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/30a23b09-190d-44e9-9157-4b896cc11e73/safeseh-disables-edit-and-continue?forum=vcgeneral

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

• Edited by lake XiaoModerator Wednesday, February 24, 2016 2:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by Geoyar Wednesday, February 24, 2016 6:29 PM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 2:24 AM
  • OK, I did it before I posted a question.

But for what purpose we have these Enable Edit and Continue check boxes? Is there a bug?

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 6:32 PM
  • Hi Geoyar,

Thanks for your update.

I think it's not a bug.  As far as I Know. Edit and Continue works only in debug builds. For native C++, Edit and Continue requires using the /INCREMENTAL option.

You could refer to the following document about "Edit and Continue":

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bcew296c.aspx

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Thursday, February 25, 2016 1:25 AM
  • Thank you for reply and link.

The link recommends to disable  "Edit and Continue" by unchecking check box in "Debug\Options\Debugging\General" or "Tools\Options\Debugging\General" (Two different paths to the same item.)

It does not work , no matter what you try. For example, with disabled /INCREMENTAL and unchecked  "Edit and Continue" I still receive the same warning but this time regarding /OPT:LB. . I want to say that is not my project, it is downloaded from MS tutorial on concurrency programming. 

So I wish Microsoft will clean this issue with  "Edit and Continue"..

Friday, February 26, 2016 12:55 AM