Very new to Publishing web ste. A few Questions RRS feed

• Question

• User2036226743 posted

Hello, I have tried to read a bit about IIS servers but I guess not hard enough. I have a few questions about how everything works.  I have uploaded websites usually on a hosting company server, using cpanel. 

Is IIS sort of like having Cpanel? update, change, upload database? Do I still have to use a company to host my website for me? 

Basically I want to upload a website with MS SQL servers. and I'm completely lost.  If i have the basic SQL I can only upload up to 4 gigs on IIS?   but if I have enterprise I can upload as much as I want to IIS?

If someone could point me to a very simple website explain all the details that would be great. or could give a me brief summary that would also be wonderful.

Thursday, December 11, 2008 12:27 PM

Answers

• User-823196590 posted

Is IIS sort of like having Cpanel?
    No - "cpanel" is software that web hosting companies use to allow their subscribers to remotely manage the web server. When you have IIS you have the web server software.

update, change, upload database?
    You still have to write some programming to handle this, like an ASP.NET page.

Do I still have to use a company to host my website for me?
    Techniocally, no - you have all the software you need. 

If i have the basic SQL I can only upload up to 4 gigs on IIS?   but if I have enterprise I can upload as much as I want to IIS?
    This is not related to IIS per se - it's a limit on how much data you can hhold in the database.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 2:34 PM