none
Prefetch map images RRS feed

• Question

• I have a need to use the Bing Maps AJAX control while offline. I've read a couple related posts and I think I understand the legal and technical block here. If I understand correctly, you need to be online in order to download the javascript and css and verify the license key and initialize the map, but once that's done, the map will continue to function correctly if the user unplugs or is unplugged. I also read there's a limitation to the length of time you can cache map images.

I think I can work within these constraints and still provide a descent offline experience. I was thinking maybe I could prefetch all the tiles I might need for a given area as a way to ensure the map is still somewhat useful if the user loses connectivity. So maybe some sort of "preparing for offline use" long running process that would pull down all the images for a selected "bounding box". I'm not sure how feasible this is as opposed to trying to provide a custom tile source, or to some other approach I haven't considered. Has anyone done anything like this?

I'm peeking into the image src for all the tiles at various zoom levels and I sort of see a naming convention, but I only spent a few minutes on this and I don't know what it would take to really get this. Is this published somewhere?

Friday, October 19, 2012 3:54 PM

Answers

• Using Bing Maps Offline is strictly prohibited. Prefetching tiles to populate your cache for offline use is not allowed. Directly accessing the tiles is also restricted.

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

Monday, October 22, 2012 12:40 PM

All replies