none
Problem with Word 2010 Inactive Applaction Add-ins RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

thank you for taking the time to read my question.

I have built and tested my add-in for Microsoft word 2007 and 2010 trial version, But when I install the add-in on my friend's computer with 2010, the add-in stays in the InactiveApplications List, and will not activate even when selected with the COM Add-ins window

Please help

Happy Easter

B

Friday, April 22, 2011 1:21 PM

All replies

• Please provide more information about this add-in

1. Which Visual Studio template did you use to create it (which command branch in the File/New/Project dialog box)?

2. What process do you use to install the add-in? Are you copying files? did you create an MSI? Did you publish to ClickOnce? Something else?

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 6:05 AM
  • Hi Miss Meister,

The program was created with a 2007 word add-in temple, and the deployment is using MSI file

Thank you for responding

B

Sunday, April 24, 2011 1:08 AM
  • Hi B

Thanks for the additional info :-) As this appears to be a VSTO add-in I'm going to move your question to the VSTO forum. You should find more people there who know about VSTO add-in deployment (which differs from Shared Add-in deployment).

If you haven't done so already, I recommend you work through the documentation links in the message on Deployment http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsto/thread/1666d2b0-a4d0-41e8-ad86-5eab3542de1e for the software combination you're targeting. That might help you find what you've missed. VSTO deployment differs somewhat from deployment of other .NET apps due to it's needing to communicate with COM and the requirements Office security restrictions.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 5:35 AM
  • Have you:

1. Included you'r manifest.
    2. Included all references (e.g. if any 3rd party dll's are being used).

What happens if you run the .vsto-file on u'r friends computer manually? Does the add-in get installed then?

You could also try and add a try/catch-clause in the startup-method to see if any exceptions occur there.

Andreas M.
    Monday, April 25, 2011 8:03 PM
  • Hi Andreas,

THe add-in does get installed, even with the MSI, but it is then listed under Inactive applications, under the add-ins options tab, it does not activate even when selected with the COM Add-ins window.

thanks

B

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:59 AM
  • hi B,

what version of Visual Studio did you use to create your add-in? are you using the VSTO 2005 SE runtime?

m.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 11:16 PM