Errors setting up database mirroring RRS feed

• Question

• The server network address TCP://jhjkasdgjkadg.asdg.sdg.sdfg.:5022 can not be reached or does not exist.  I have SQL 2008 R2 mirroring with another SQL 2008 R2 using a sql 2005 as the witness.  Trying to get HA mirroring.  The IP is there and reachable via telnet over the 5022 port.  This error doesn't make sense or tell me anything.  

-Brockstar

Thursday, February 12, 2015 7:15 PM

Answers

• SO, update, I found you had to use the same version of SQL as the mirrored servers on the witness.  I was using 2005 on the witness and 2008 on the mirrored servers..  Tried installing a new SQL 2008 on another server and tried to create endpoints and got it working! Woot! Thanks!

-Brockstar

Saturday, February 14, 2015 8:15 PM

All replies

• Can you refer the below link

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/grahamk/archive/2008/12/08/database-mirroring-error-1418-troubleshooter.aspx

--Prashanth

• Proposed as answer by Michelle Li Friday, February 13, 2015 1:18 PM
    Thursday, February 12, 2015 8:13 PM
  • The only thing on this whole page (link) that I haven't done is where you require a domain account to manage the SQL services.  The server was setup with SQL to run locally with a local service account without being on a domain by the vendor.  We added the server to the domain, but left the services alone since they were working.  I'll need to setup the services on both servers to run on a dedicated SQL domain account.  Do I need to use the same domain account for both servers' services?  For instance, say it is called SQLSERVICE and is a domain account.  And I was planning to use SQLSERVICES to make the connections (configure security and endpoints settings) as I was going to use to run the services on the two mirrored servers.  I have given this account full access to the database, it is a sysadmin Is there any issue with doing this?  Is that recommended or not recommended?  The account configured for accessing the witness as well, but does not need to be able to manage any databases on the witness.  

Question regarding the services:

I know to change the account running the services, I'll need to restart these SQL services.  Are there any potential problems with changing the local service accounts to use domain service accounts?  Is there anything else I need to take into consideration besides restarting the services?

Is it ok that I don't use that same domain service account (SQLSERVICES) to run the services on the witness server?  I do have the permissions for the SQLSERVICES account to connect to and view the SQL servers on this node, just didn't set it to run the services.  The witness server is completely unrelated to this project and I'm trying to make as few changes to it as possible.  I don't know if changing the service accounts will break other things that it is currently doing.  

-Brockstar

Friday, February 13, 2015 2:42 PM
  • You can change the service account without restarting the sql services through SSCM(SQL Server Configuration Manager). I would recommend to use same  account on Principal and Mirror instances. I don't see any issues for using diff account on witness.

Regarding Potential problem, its hard to say the dependency on your environment but I would not recommend to use Local System account at any cost.

--Prashanth

Friday, February 13, 2015 2:53 PM
  • Thanks very much.  I'll give it a whirl this weekend and report back.  

-Brockstar

Friday, February 13, 2015 3:29 PM
  • I added the accounts to the sql services and the mirroring sorta started.  Now it appears the only issue is with the witness.  What permissions do I need to give the AD account I have running the endpoints?  I have used the same AD account for the services and the endpoints.  I obviously dont want to give more permissions than I need, so what permissions are needed on the witness?  It fails trying to do the alter database command to the database that is being mirrored, but isn't on the witness server.  What is it trying to do on the witness and what permissions does it need?  

More or less error message was

Alter Failed for database "mirroreddatabasename" 

Additional Information:

An exception occured while executing a Transact SQL statement or a batch

The Alter Database Command could not be sent to the remote server instance

'TCP://WITNESS.Server.com.'   The database mirroring configuration was not changed.  

Verify the server is connected and try again.

Thanks,

-Brockstar

-Brockstar

Saturday, February 14, 2015 4:46 PM
  • SO, update, I found you had to use the same version of SQL as the mirrored servers on the witness.  I was using 2005 on the witness and 2008 on the mirrored servers..  Tried installing a new SQL 2008 on another server and tried to create endpoints and got it working! Woot! Thanks!

-Brockstar

Saturday, February 14, 2015 8:15 PM