SSRS Subscription Timing Out RRS feed

• Question

• So I have set-up a SSRS Subscription. It typically takes the report some time to execute...usually 5 or 6 minutes wall time using Report Manager Portal. Going across a linked server to get some data...UGH.

I am trying to set-up and run a one-time subscription for this in our test environment and I have adjusted the Report's Processing Options to "Do not timeout report". I have set the Web config file's timeout to the default

<httpRuntime executionTimeout="922337203685" />

And am still getting this error from the Log File..

Error occurred processing subscription: Failure sending mail: The operation has timed out.Mail will not be resent.

Soooo is this instead an issue with our SMTP Mail Server? Or is the "Failure sending mail" kind of a misnomer.

I'm at my wits end here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Tuesday, August 14, 2018 9:25 PM

All replies

• And my Report Manager Portal Settings is also set to "Do not timeout report"
    Tuesday, August 14, 2018 9:37 PM
  • Hi ITBobbyP

According to your description , you got timeout issue when using subscription to dispatch the report as email ,right?

If so , you could check in the following aspects:

1 check the record in the ExecutionLogStorage table or the ExecutionLog view, then get the record about your subscription record. (requesttype =1 or =Subscription)

Then check the status ,if the status is “rssuccess” ,then check the following 3 fields: TimeDataRetrieval, TimeProcessing ,TimeRendering

Check if the value is out of your setting value or the value is strange, seems the problem was occurred in this step.

Otherwise , it could be the issue about the smtp server .

You could export the report as the format you set in the subscription ,and then send it manually to check if the issue is about the smtp server.

Or you could change you ssrs subscription email setting with other email account and email server.

2 you could get more information about the issue from the log file located at :C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportServer\ ReportServerService_<timestamp>.log

Reference :

Data Driven Subscription Emails Failing

Issue in To: field on SSRS Subscriptions

Hope it can help you.

Best Regards,

Eric Liu

Best Regards, Eric Liu MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer if the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 2:31 AM
  • Believe it or not, we were attempting to run this Report Subscription on our Test Server and after some trial and tribulation and some discussion, I don't think our Test Server has a hook into our SMTP Mail Server. So we're thinking that's why it timed out.
    Wednesday, August 15, 2018 7:50 PM
  • Hi

According to your reply , you could do the following checks to add the connection between the ssrs report server and the smtp server.

1 Have you add the “send as” permission on rscm (reporting services configuration manager )?  Add the subscription ‘s email setting in rscm. 

Or you could configure the subscription email setting in RSReportServer.config file. See more at : How to Configure a Report Server for E-mail Delivery

2 Use Telnet to Test SMTP Communication.

Hope it can help you.

Best Regards,

Eric Liu

Best Regards, Eric Liu MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer if the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Thursday, August 16, 2018 2:55 AM