ImageMap and/or Possibly GDI+???? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1060970707 posted

I have a program that I would like to write, but I'm not sure the best way to go about it.  I want to show the location of a certain computer or piece of equipment on a floorplan of my office. 

My initial thought is to build an ASP.NET page which has an image of the floorplan as an ImageMap, then create hotspots over each desk area.  On the backend have a database table with the hotspot identifier and the computername (and any other relevant networking information like the switch and port where it is plugged in).  When I enter a computername and search, I want to pull the hotspot identifier from the DB and use GDI+ (or some other method) to highlight the cubicle where the computer is located on the office map.

Before I invest too much time into this I just wanted to know if anybody had done anything like this before (or knew of a program that did it) and if my approach would even work.

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, May 18, 2006 4:13 PM

All replies

• User-599719271 posted

It's definitely possible. I've done something similar with a simple mapping system on www.sydneypubguide.net and www.sydneycafeguide.net - my little personal sites. The coordinates of a given put of cafes are stored with the entry in the database, and rendered on the fly to the appropriate map with ASP.NET

see for instance:

http://www.sydneypubguide.net/pubs/lord_dudley.aspx

one nice side effect of this is I can use the information to generate the 'nearby pubs' info in the right-hand column. it's little more than storing the map grid and the x and y position of the pub relative to the corner of the grid, then using that as required. Let me know if you need specific assistance with it.

Thursday, May 18, 2006 11:13 PM
  • User1999113571 posted

Hi,

I was wondering if you got the floorplan app going.

I'm building a bed board system and I really needed something like what you asked of.
    Hope you can help me out.

Thanks,

Mario

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 1:43 PM
  • User-1372641848 posted

Check this

Create Exploded Pie Chart Having Click Through Functionality in C#

Its show how to create imagemap to achive click through functionality.

Monday, August 28, 2006 8:36 AM
  • User-1858836523 posted
    The link was useful, I need something like that too, hotspot image map.
    Monday, September 18, 2006 10:08 AM