Cancel Print Job from Metro App

Question

• I am a software engineer working on a team that is developing a metro style device app for printers.

I am looking into adding the capability to cancel a print job from within our metro app and I am having some difficulty finding the hooks to do so.  This particularly pertains to when we receive a print notification.

For some of our events we would like to put up a full screen status message when the user taps our toast, and on that message have a “cancel print” button.  Is there a way we can get access to the print ticket to cancel the print job? or what is the recommended way to cancel the job in this scenario?

Thank you.

Trevor

Monday, May 14, 2012 11:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Trevor,

Neither Metro style device apps, nor Metro style apps that print have access to manage print jobs. We understand the scenario you're targeting and know it was used prominently in v3 status monitors, but it is not supported in Metro style device apps.

We expect that users will navigate to the desktop print queue window to manage job cancellation, restart, etc. In terms of what your app should do, I would recommend guiding users to the print queue window to cancel the job, or alternatively, to use your device's front panel UI to cancel the job on that end if supported.

Thanks!

Justin

Thursday, May 17, 2012 4:51 PM

All replies

• Trevor,

I will look into this for you.

Best Wishes - Eric

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:02 PM
  • Hi Trevor,

Neither Metro style device apps, nor Metro style apps that print have access to manage print jobs. We understand the scenario you're targeting and know it was used prominently in v3 status monitors, but it is not supported in Metro style device apps.

We expect that users will navigate to the desktop print queue window to manage job cancellation, restart, etc. In terms of what your app should do, I would recommend guiding users to the print queue window to cancel the job, or alternatively, to use your device's front panel UI to cancel the job on that end if supported.

Thanks!

Justin

Thursday, May 17, 2012 4:51 PM
  • Justin,

In a related matter, is there an API to get information about jobs in the print queue?  For example, if I wanted to know how many items are queued for a particular device.  Is there any way to get that?

Thanks,
    Lance

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:38 PM