locked
401 Unauthorized When Accessed Remotely RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello,

    I am trying to deploy my application to a test server.  The application has a ReportViewer control embedded in the page and connects to a remote Reporting Services server.  Everything works fine locally in my development environment.  However, when I deploy to the test server, I get a 401: Unauthorized exception on my reports.  I am using Windows Authentication and Impersonation (the application is on the local intranet).  If I log onto the web server locally and try to access the web site through localhost, everything works fine.  I realize this is probably not a problem with the ReportViewer control itself, however, I don't know what the problem is, or where to start to find a solution...

    Any suggestions would be appreciated...

    Thanks!

    David.

    Wednesday, September 20, 2006 8:32 PM

Answers

All replies

  • Just to add a note to this.

    I've got the same problem, and I've tried all the solutions mentioned, playing around with Credentials objects, making sure impersonation is on,etc

    My app is using windows authentication, and its picking the id up just fine. It just doesn't seem to be passing it on.

    What I have noticed, is that if I look at the web server log on the report server, the log entry has a - instead of my user ID when I'm calling it remotely.

    2007-03-20 20:13:20 W3SVC1 10.220.3.111 POST /reportserver/ReportExecution2005.asmx - 80 -

    That suggests that the user id is not passing through regardless of impersonation or credentials.

     

    Can anyone help? I really don't want to have to switch these to local reports.

    Tuesday, March 20, 2007 8:20 PM
  • Is it possible you are running into a double hop issue?  This blog entry has a brief explanation and pointers to a few other articles that go into more detail.  http://blogs.msdn.com/jgalla/archive/2006/03/16/reporting-services-and-windows-authentication.aspx
    Wednesday, March 21, 2007 9:37 PM
  • Probably.

     

    Interestingly enough, I solved my problem by going backwards. We had a project here using the report viewer from .net 1.1, which they had source for. So I recompiled it in 2.0, and used it instead of the builtin report viewer, and the problem was resolved.

    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 12:22 PM
  • It probably was a double hop issue then.  The old report viewer sample used an iframe that pointed directly to the report server.  This means that your report server must be accessible to the client, which is not the case with the ReportViewer control.
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 1:07 AM
  • Monday, June 4, 2007 3:02 PM