App containing only iframes. Possible? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody, i'm starting trying building some html5 apps with visual studio 2012 express and i quickly realized that i would like to develop a whole website using my rented server (webhosting) and then just putting a gigantic iframe into my windows 8 app which will technically only display my website but with the "app tile" and without needing the browser. Would that pass the approvation? Developers' account costs some money, i'd like to be sure before getting bashed. I am a web developer, i don't know how to build quickly something with C++ or other ways..but without some server scripting my app would be pretty useless. That's why i'd like to build a website and then iframe it into the app. 

Thanks in advance :)

Thursday, November 22, 2012 5:41 PM

Answers

• If you are a web developer you can create the app directly in HTML/CSS/JavaScript, just like you would as a website, so the fact that you don't know C++ or other technologies shouldn't be an issue.  You can also make XHR calls to your server as needed in the app while writing the app details in HTML/JavaScript.

A very good overview/walkthrough of this can be found at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/microsoft_press/archive/2012/10/29/free-ebook-programming-windows-8-apps-with-html-css-and-javascript.aspx.

• Marked as answer by Song Tian Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:55 AM
    Sunday, November 25, 2012 8:46 AM
  • Hi D3stroyah,

As you've found, a windows store app completely based on a remote website is note recommended by the guidelines. And Microsoft has already provided HTML5 + javascript as first-class programming languages for developing windows store app. I think this is defintely what you need and you will get more advanced programming interfaces (than what you can do in normal web page javascript code) in windows store app code (based on html5 and javascrpit).  The book Gearard suggested is a very good one to get start.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, November 26, 2012 8:20 AM

All replies

• i just red this:

Furthermore, iframe support is not intended to let you just build an app out of remote web pages. Section 2.4 of the Windows 8 app certification requirements, in fact, specifically disallow apps that are just websites—the primary app experience must take place within the app, meaning that it doesn’t happen within websites hosted in iframe elements. A few key reasons for this are that websites typically aren’t set up well for touch interaction (which violates requirement 3.5) and often won’t work well in snapped view (violating requirement 3.6). In short, overuse of web content will likely mean that the app won’t be accepted by the Store.

Thursday, November 22, 2012 5:54 PM
  • If you are a web developer you can create the app directly in HTML/CSS/JavaScript, just like you would as a website, so the fact that you don't know C++ or other technologies shouldn't be an issue.  You can also make XHR calls to your server as needed in the app while writing the app details in HTML/JavaScript.

A very good overview/walkthrough of this can be found at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/microsoft_press/archive/2012/10/29/free-ebook-programming-windows-8-apps-with-html-css-and-javascript.aspx.

Sunday, November 25, 2012 8:46 AM
  • Hi D3stroyah,

As you've found, a windows store app completely based on a remote website is note recommended by the guidelines. And Microsoft has already provided HTML5 + javascript as first-class programming languages for developing windows store app. I think this is defintely what you need and you will get more advanced programming interfaces (than what you can do in normal web page javascript code) in windows store app code (based on html5 and javascrpit).  The book Gearard suggested is a very good one to get start.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, November 26, 2012 8:20 AM