How to share resource files (.resx) among projects RRS feed

• Question

• User1308293355 posted

Hi guys!

I'm developing a web application through a solution consisting of several different projects; one for custom controls, one for web services etc. However, I would like to create a single project within the solution which contains all resource files (.resx). I've found some different examples of handling this, for example by implementing a ResourceManager that loads the resource files at runtime, but I don't find that kind of solution to be particularly pretty.

What I've tried to do is to:

• Create a separate project for the resource files
    • Copy all resource files to the newly created project
    • Reference the project from the other projects in which I want to use the resources

However, I get an error because all the resources are automatically declared as internal. Is there any way of changing this without modifying the auto-generated code? I'm guessing the auto-generated code will be overwritten the next time I modify a resource file and re-compile it...

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Thursday, February 8, 2007 4:25 AM

Answers

• User764555827 posted

Hi Tednyberg,

Not a beautiful solution, but what you can do is to declare them as public.

Instead of modifying the auto-generated file, just copy it into a new file (it's a partial class, so you can add to it with other files). In the new file, declare the properties as public, and slightly change their names (to avoir conflicts).

As I said, it's not so beautiful, because it will mean manually adding a new property to that file when adding a new resource.

Personnally, I think I'd go for the ResourceManager solution you just mentioned. You can turn it into something not so awful by writing a helper class to access the resources. 

Best regards,

Arnaud 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, February 8, 2007 3:07 PM