none
Upgrade from VS2010 vb.net project to VS 2013 Upd 4 project on dotnet 4 causing issues with Service references RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WCF Service library built in Visual Studio 2010 targeting DotNet 4.0.

This WCF Service references an external service using service references to cause a windows service to do something when required. All references were created through Visual Studio 2010 IDE.

The service reference is defined as MyService.Interface and this is how everything references it in code.

This all works great and no issues.

Just installed a copy of visual studio 2013 Update 4 onto a virtual machine and imported a copy of the project.

Now, all my service references to this windows service in the code generated reference.vb file all are declared as global.MyService.Interface instead of just MyService.Interface.

I now have hundreds of errors stating the type global.MyService.Interface is not defined.

If I remove the root namespace of the WCF Project, this error is removed but the solution is then peppered with hundreds of other errors caused by removing the namespace.

What I am wondering is what was added to VS2013 to make all service references have global. added to the front of them in generated code (reference.vb), and is there a way to make it work like it used to so code generation doesn't include global. at the start of each reference?

I have tried setting the namespace for the service reference in reference.svcmap but that made no difference.

I have not yet tried svcutil as I don't want to have to go down a path of manually generating stuff that has worked for years just because VS2013 does something different now and there will be other developers who manage this and I don't want to have to have different methods of updating service references than they are used to just because of a version change in Visual Studio.

I have done some searching and found plenty of cases where people had to add global. to their references, but in this case its the reverse - it was automatically added and I want to remove it from generated code but cant find where to do it. I am hoping there is a check box that I can uncheck and it will magically go back to the way it was working.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Rod.

Mono / DotNet Rocks!

• Moved by Amanda Zhu Monday, December 22, 2014 5:55 AM WCF related issue
    Friday, December 19, 2014 11:47 AM

Answers

• Hi Jieng

Yes - I updated the references and it made no difference - but I am going to close this question as I found the cause - its not visual studio 2013 update 4, its Windows 10.

Forgot to mention that this was on Windows 10.

When I install Visual Studio 2013 Update 3 or 4 on windows 10, they both exhibit this behaviour.

When I install visual studio 2013 update 4 on Windows 7, works perfectly.

So the issue Is not visual studio 2013 update 4, its Visual studio 2013 on Windows 10.

Cheers

Rod.

Mono / DotNet Rocks!

• Marked as answer by Roddles Tuesday, December 23, 2014 8:50 PM
    Tuesday, December 23, 2014 8:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Rod,

Because your issue is about WCF service, I moved this thread to Windows Communication Foundation, Serialization, and Networking forum. WCF experts can provide you better support.

Thanks,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, December 22, 2014 5:56 AM
  • Have you updated the service reference?
    Tuesday, December 23, 2014 10:05 AM
  • Hi Jieng

Yes - I updated the references and it made no difference - but I am going to close this question as I found the cause - its not visual studio 2013 update 4, its Windows 10.

Forgot to mention that this was on Windows 10.

When I install Visual Studio 2013 Update 3 or 4 on windows 10, they both exhibit this behaviour.

When I install visual studio 2013 update 4 on Windows 7, works perfectly.

So the issue Is not visual studio 2013 update 4, its Visual studio 2013 on Windows 10.

Cheers

Rod.

Mono / DotNet Rocks!

• Marked as answer by Roddles Tuesday, December 23, 2014 8:50 PM
    Tuesday, December 23, 2014 8:50 PM