none
Unable to open "Additional Controls" RRS feed

• Question

• I am using office 2007. When in the visual basic editor, I right click on the toolbox and select "Additional Controls" and there is a brief hourglass then nothing. I have also tried from the tools > additional controls link as well. I have even completely reinstalled the office suite and still cannot pull up the additional controls dialog box.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Friday, February 1, 2008 12:25 AM

All replies

• I have a work-around that I posted at http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88177

I have been having the same problems adding additional controls to the toolbox in Excel VBA on Windows Vista running Office 2007 Pro.

I ensured I had a full install of Office and I was logged in with admin rights. Still no luck.

Two work-arounds:

1. Create a form in Excel on a machine that has the control you need to use, then export the form. Copy it to the PC that doesn't have the additional controls functioning properly
    2. On my machine, creating a new profile and running VBA enabled the additional controls *only for the new profile*, not the old profile.

While these work-arounds don't solve the problem, they point to it being a profile issue, not an Office installation issue.

Monday, April 21, 2008 12:17 AM
  • Go into Visual Basic Editor, and rightclick on the project and insert UserForm. you can delete this form later, but inserting a user form for the first time must trigger some sort of installation script in excel 2007

This will not only allow you to use Additional Controls... button, but also what I have been racking my brain for you'll be able to Declare "Dim var as Control" until you do this you will see "Dim var as control" (notice the lower case c) and get the message that the "user-type is undeclared"

Good Luck

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:56 AM
  • Here we are in 2016,

I'm not sure if this has been a recent and recurring problem for many people, but when I updated to Office 2016 and changed from the traditional suite to Office 365, I began running into the same problem. I am on windows 10, and cannot get the additional controls dialogue box to pop up in excel vba when i click on tools > additional controls

Thanks for the help...

Shaanan Domschine

Saturday, May 21, 2016 7:09 PM
  • I have the same issue and success with this method:

1-click on start menu (in the left on your desk top)

2-drage a shortcut of Microsoft Excel in your desktop
    3-Right click on it and choose Properties then click on compatibility Tab
    4-set check on run this program in compatibility mode for .....(choose your..) 
    5-Apply then OK

Now open your Microsoft Excel or(Word,......) , You can see everything is OK and additional Control box is working well

This problem usually happen when we change or config our Microsoft to new version( 2003 to 2010 ,.....)

• Edited by NgocMaggie Wednesday, September 28, 2016 2:45 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Saran BL Saturday, November 30, 2019 7:57 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2016 2:44 AM
  • I have the same issue and success with this method:

1-click on start menu (in the left on your desk top)

2-drage a shortcut of Microsoft Excel in your desktop
    3-Right click on it and choose Properties then click on compatibility Tab
    4-set check on run this program in compatibility mode for .....(choose your..) 
    5-Apply then OK

Now open your Microsoft Excel or(Word,......) , You can see everything is OK and additional Control box is working well

This problem usually happen when we change or config our Microsoft to new version( 2003 to 2010 ,.....)

Thursday, September 14, 2017 12:58 PM