Problem with example RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have recently acquired a MRDS 2008, and I'm following the Professional Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio book. Just starting in chapter 1, "Verifying the installation", when I double clic ExplorerSim.sln (an example from chapter 9) it does not recognize the file, and asks me for the programm to open it. When I look in the list of programms to uninstall, I can see that the Visual C++ 2008 and 2005 Redistributable are installed (though I don't know where). What can i do to fix this problem?

Thank you in advance

Sunday, February 28, 2010 12:42 AM

Answers

• :-)
    It seems you are missing Visual Studio which is the programming environment used for MRDS. While I suppose it is not necessary if you are only using simulation environment and Visual programming language only. But it is highly recommended to install a version of Visual studio 2008. (You may use express edition if you are not intending to use compact framework examples - which requires standard edition or higher) .sln extention is used for Visual Studio Solution files.
    Best regards,
    Aravinda D.P.
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 3:28 PM
  • On page 16 of the book under "Prerequisites" it clearly states that you need Visual Studio C#. You can download the Express Edition of Visual Studio for free. However, now that you have already installed RDS you will not have the Wizards for creating new services. You will need to re-install RDS *after* you have installed Visual Studio.

Trevor
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 10:35 PM

All replies

• :-)
    It seems you are missing Visual Studio which is the programming environment used for MRDS. While I suppose it is not necessary if you are only using simulation environment and Visual programming language only. But it is highly recommended to install a version of Visual studio 2008. (You may use express edition if you are not intending to use compact framework examples - which requires standard edition or higher) .sln extention is used for Visual Studio Solution files.
    Best regards,
    Aravinda D.P.
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 3:28 PM
  • Thank you Aravinda :)

I thought that the redistributable package would be enough to create code for MRDS and to make the examples work. That means that it is necessary to install and additional application to make MRDS fully work? :/

Sunday, February 28, 2010 3:50 PM
  • On page 16 of the book under "Prerequisites" it clearly states that you need Visual Studio C#. You can download the Express Edition of Visual Studio for free. However, now that you have already installed RDS you will not have the Wizards for creating new services. You will need to re-install RDS *after* you have installed Visual Studio.

Trevor
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 10:35 PM