none
BizTalk 2009 losing SQL database connectivity. Error Code: 0xc0c01b45 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are facing following issue in BizTalk 2009.

Unable to communicate with MessageBox BizTalkMsgBoxDb on SQL Instance XX.xxxx.YY.net. Error Code: 0xc0c01b45. Possible reasons include: 
     1) The MessageBox is unavailable.
     2) The network link from this machine to the MessageBox is down.
     3) The DTC Configuration on either this local machine or the machine hosting this MessageBox is incorrect.

We have checked SQL Server event log and it is showing no any error. 

Biztalk is always losing SQL database connectivity which results terminations of the host instances.

Can anybody please suggest the solution for this.

Thursday, December 1, 2016 10:13 AM

Answers

• This occurs usually when there is a network connection drop between biztalk and underlying SQL Server. 

If you database server is active/passive cluster, then during the failure of the active node you would got the above errors and when the passive node switched as active node, your BizTalk's connectivity is resumed to its normal operation.

Check with your infrastructure team whether there is network issue or connectivity issue. There could also be due to network glitch. 

To check the MSDTC connectivity you should run the DTCPing tool available @http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=2868 and use this KB article @http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918331

In most of the cases DTC is suspect, BizTalk creates a distributed transaction while message processing and if the DTC is not properly configured you;d run into issues where it is reported that MessageBox is unavailable, etc, etc.

Rachit Sikroria (Microsoft Azure MVP)

Thursday, December 1, 2016 11:00 AM
  • Glad to see you found the issue to your problem. I would however tell you that you are running on a non-supported platform of BizTalk Server (still extended support til 2019), we recently released BizTalk Server 2016 with a lot of new functionality including the support for SQL Server AlwaysOn, this would help you in issues like this in the future.

Let me know if I can help you kick start a migration project.

// Tord

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 6:17 PM

All replies

• This occurs usually when there is a network connection drop between biztalk and underlying SQL Server. 

If you database server is active/passive cluster, then during the failure of the active node you would got the above errors and when the passive node switched as active node, your BizTalk's connectivity is resumed to its normal operation.

Check with your infrastructure team whether there is network issue or connectivity issue. There could also be due to network glitch. 

To check the MSDTC connectivity you should run the DTCPing tool available @http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=2868 and use this KB article @http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918331

In most of the cases DTC is suspect, BizTalk creates a distributed transaction while message processing and if the DTC is not properly configured you;d run into issues where it is reported that MessageBox is unavailable, etc, etc.

Rachit Sikroria (Microsoft Azure MVP)

Thursday, December 1, 2016 11:00 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you Rachit for above explaination based on which we found some Local DTC settings difference as well as 100% utilization of memory and CPU. We are working on it. Once it will complete I will reply back the complete fix.

Thanks,
    Swapnil Bhosale

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 12:49 PM
  • Glad to see you found the issue to your problem. I would however tell you that you are running on a non-supported platform of BizTalk Server (still extended support til 2019), we recently released BizTalk Server 2016 with a lot of new functionality including the support for SQL Server AlwaysOn, this would help you in issues like this in the future.

Let me know if I can help you kick start a migration project.

// Tord

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 6:17 PM
  • Hi Team,

After adding CPU and RAM it is started working smoothly. But again it is failing when we are getting below error in the event viewer.

After below error BizTalk remains unstable for next half an hour. What may be the issue..Could you please help to figure out the below error.

Event Type:      Error
    Event Source:   VSS
    Event Category:            None
    Event ID:          8193
    Date:                12/16/2016
    Time:                12:48:59 AM
    User:                N/A
    Computer:         Xxxxxx.xxxxxx.com
    Description:
    Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine ConvertStringSidToSid(S-1-5-21-1292428093-838170752-682003330-883180.bak).  hr = 0x80070539, The security ID structure is invalid.

Thanks,

Swapnil Bhosale

Saturday, December 17, 2016 9:23 AM