System.Web.Security.Membership.ValidateUser() fails on copied-over site RRS feed

• Question

• User1692725421 posted

There is probably a very simple solution to this problem. I have been given an Asp.NET application and the complete database with the aspnet tables (aspnet_Users, aspnet_Membership, etc.) and all the data and objects therein.

However, when I go to run the application on my local (using IISExpress, so that I can readily attach the debugger) it fails on authentication with a valid user/password combination :

System.Web.Security.Membership.ValidateUser(providedUserName, providedUserPassword)

It simply fails to validate, and I can confirm the user and corresponding password in the aspnet_Users and aspnet_Membership tables.

Is there some SQL Server configuration issue I might be overlooking -- it just seems like there must be a configuration issue that would be causing this given that I am using the same database and code that does authenticate on another system. Thank you.

Thursday, April 23, 2015 9:59 AM

All replies

• User364480375 posted

Rvic R u getting any error??

Friday, April 24, 2015 5:28 AM
  • User1692725421 posted

No, that's the problem, it operates as though I gave it an invalid password. 

I am going to set authorization in web.config to allow for password reset, then reset the password and try again and see what I get.

Friday, April 24, 2015 7:56 AM
  • User364480375 posted

ok try to set the authorization in web-config file and  see whether problem is solved or not???

Friday, April 24, 2015 8:02 AM
  • User1692725421 posted

I reset the password, tried to authenticate again, and again, it failed. This using hte same code and db that works fine on another machine.

Friday, April 24, 2015 10:01 AM