Running ASP.NET from VisualStudio with NO certificate RRS feed

• Question

• User-1400108183 posted

Is there a way I can run ASP.NET in a browser without a certificate?

I'm practicing my MVC skills during lunch, so I have no need to certify/verify anything related to what I'm doing in VS.

I had to delete the default-installed IIS Express certificate to install a work-related certificate issued to localhost. Apparently having multiple certificates issued to local host takes significant (and potentially risky) work.

In the project properties I tried setting "SSL Enabled" to false and Windows Authentication to "Disabled", but it still seems to require the certificate.

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 2:32 PM

Answers

• User-166373564 posted

Hi Micah

I think it’s necessary for us to use authentication in our application, even for local testing. In particular, Basic authentication and forms authentication send unencrypted credentials. To be secure, these authentication schemes must use SSL. In addition, SSL client certificates can be used to authenticate clients. For this issue, it seems that there is other authentication existed.

Regards

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 11:05 PM
  • User-1392847221 posted

Hi,

As per my understanding there is no need to work on SSL until unless you really need it in testing environment. but it is your project need then you can create a dummy self signed certificate and use it for reference please go through below link

http://indiandotnet.wordpress.com/2013/09/14/how-to-create-self-signed-certificate-with-iis/

Thursday, October 17, 2013 11:33 PM

All replies

• User-166373564 posted

Hi Micah

I think it’s necessary for us to use authentication in our application, even for local testing. In particular, Basic authentication and forms authentication send unencrypted credentials. To be secure, these authentication schemes must use SSL. In addition, SSL client certificates can be used to authenticate clients. For this issue, it seems that there is other authentication existed.

Regards

Thursday, October 17, 2013 11:05 PM
  • User-1392847221 posted

Hi,

As per my understanding there is no need to work on SSL until unless you really need it in testing environment. but it is your project need then you can create a dummy self signed certificate and use it for reference please go through below link

http://indiandotnet.wordpress.com/2013/09/14/how-to-create-self-signed-certificate-with-iis/

Thursday, October 17, 2013 11:33 PM