none
Digitally signed macros suddenly no longer running RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone, this is my first time posting on a board like this.  I can usually figure most of my problems out but this one has me completely stumped.

I wrote a macro that takes all attachments (assuming they exist) and saves them to our network.  This macro is triggered by a rule that runs when a certain contact emails the end user.  In order to ensure the macro runs without having to enable all macros, I digitally signed it with a self-signed certificate, and ensured it was trusted.  Then set security settings to automatically run signed macros and notify the user about unsigned macros.

After a bit of testing, I was confident the macro and rule worked as intended.  It has been in use for about 6 months with no issues.  Then suddenly, a couple of weeks ago, it stopped working.  When I attempt to run the project manually (I also included a second subroutine in the project that simply creates a message box when run for testing purposes), I get a message saying that macros in the project are disabled.

The only way to stop this message from occurring is to change security settings to "Notifications for all macros", however, this solution isn't feasible in the long term because I ONLY want trusted, digitally signed macros to be run and this opens the door to unsigned macros.

I still have an exact copy of this code on my own PC from when I initially wrote it, and upon testing, it too had stopped working.  Did Microsoft update something broke signatures or changed how they work recently?

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 6:52 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Looks like you need to purchase a certificate from a trusted vendor. Did you have a chance to try it out? Does it work in Outlook correctly?

[custom.development]

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 6:58 PM
  • No, I haven't ever used a purchased cert.  I have never needed to purchase a certificate before.  Self-signed certs have always worked for me in the past in this scenario, and in fact did work for this exact macro for months before stopping.  
    • Edited by dschuma Tuesday, October 25, 2016 7:57 PM Clarification
    Tuesday, October 25, 2016 7:24 PM
  • Microsoft could fix something with recent updates, so self-signed certs could stop working for VBA macros (or just stop working after the first launch). But I am not aware of such changes in Outlook, so I'd suggest testing any cert from a trusted vendor.

[custom.development]

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 9:29 PM
  • Hi dschuma,

did you installed any latest update regarding MS office or system updates?

if so then try to uninstall it and try it again.

to check whether it is affected by the updates or not.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 9:08 AM
  • I uninstalled all recent updates with the exception of KB3177467 (which is not removable).  The problem still occurs.
    Thursday, October 27, 2016 1:41 PM
  • Hi dschuma,

you are talking about KB3177467 .

but there is one another update released some days ago.

KB3118354 launched on 4-oct-2016.

which have the changes that you had mentioned in your original post.

below are the changes.

• Fixes the following issues:
    • This fix covers users who have customized the display of field 3 in the Outlook contact card to make the customization display properly.
    • Fixes an issue in which VBA and Office Add-in Digital Signatures may not verify correctly after you upgrade an existing system with Office installed to Windows 10.
    • You cannot publish to a blog site with new credentials after cleaning up references to Blogger.

if you had installed this update then it is possible that the issue is related with this update.

so please check about this update.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 31, 2016 1:54 AM
  • Hi there Deepak,

Thanks for the information.  I'm sorry, I should have mentioned in my initial post that I'm using Windows 7, the update you mentioned hasn't been downloaded automatically and isn't available for download manually.  It seems to be for Windows 10 only based on the description and because when I try and run it, it gives me a message saying that no products affected by the update are installed and the installation terminates.

Monday, October 31, 2016 12:46 PM
  • Hi dschuma,

can you tell me which office version you are using?

the above mentioned update is not related with windows 10 but it is for office 2013.

also I want to suggest you to check on other machine and that machine has the same configuration like the old one on which you able to work correctly then it is helpful here to make decision that this issue is related with any update or there is any other reason to occur this issue.

you had mentioned that update KB3177467  is not removable.

so If it related with this update then whatever we try it will not give any positive results.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 12:51 AM
  • Hi Deepak,

Both systems are using identical software, Windows 7 Professional, and Microsoft Office 2013.  Neither machine will run macros properly, and neither machine has the update you mentioned above.  Currently no machine in the building will run macros properly.

Thanks for your continued attention.

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 12:18 PM
  • Hi dschuma,

As you had mentioned that before some moths ago your digitally signed macros running correctly.

but before 2 weeks it suddenly stop working as expected.

you did not change anything and we also check for the updates but we did not find any solid root cause.

but we know that there is something that had changed during these days.

so I would suggest you to restore your system.

so that it will again back to its old condition and macro will again start working correctly.

Hope you had created a system restore point so that with the help of that you can able to restore.

please visit the link mentioned below to get information regarding System Restore.

Back up and restore your PC

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 8:10 AM