none
"Spreadsheet Compare" tool showing LOCKED VBA codes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I just upgraded to Excel 2016 and got this new tool called "Spreadsheet Compare 2016". It's a great tool but I noticed it's showing LOCKED VBA codes in comparison results.

Is it one expected behavior? We are distributing Excel+VBA to customers, and don't want to expose our VBA codes.

Thanks.

Thursday, February 9, 2017 8:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Gengpu Liu,

Spreadsheet compare is the feature to compare two workbooks and it will return you the difference between them.

Use Spreadsheet Compare to compare two workbooks to see the differences between them, line by line. You can see how values, formulas, and formatting differ –  line by line, and cell by cell.

Spreadsheet Compare can detect and highlight just the type of differences you specify.

For more information regarding Spreadsheet Compare please refer links below.

Compare two versions of a workbook by using Spreadsheet Compare

Overview of Spreadsheet Compare

you had mentioned that,"We are distributing Excel+VBA to customers, and don't want to expose our VBA codes."

this feature will not protect your VBA code in anyway.

you are talking about 2 different things.

if you want to know the difference between 2 Excel workbooks then you can use this feature. it will only lock the VBA code when you use this feature. because it can make some changes to workbook so it can affect the result of Spreadsheet compare.

after that VBA code will be unlocked to use again.

if you want to protect your VBA code then you can put the password on VBA code so that other people can't access it without password.

to protect your code please refer the direction mentioned below.

Open VBA Code.

Go to "Tools" menu-> "VBA project properties" -> "Protection" Tab

put a password and click ok.

Reference:

Protect Macro

so after that you can distribute your Excel + VBA to your customers without exposing the VBA code.

Hope it will clear all your doubts.

if you have any further question then let me know about that.

if your issue is solved by this suggestion then mark it as an answer.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 10, 2017 1:49 AM
  • Hi Deepak, 

Thanks for the reply. To make my question more explicit: We are distributing Excel+VBA to customers, and don't want our customers to use this "Spreadsheet Compare 2016" to compare our workbooks to see VBA code's difference.

We have locked our Excel VBA project with a password, but it can't stop this "Spreadsheet Compare 2016" to show code difference.

Thanks,

Gengpu

Friday, February 10, 2017 6:44 AM
  • Hi Gengpu Liu,

I try to search regarding your requirement.

but I did not find any solution that can work for you.

I did not able to find any way to disable this spreadsheet compare or disable the VBA code comparison in this tool.

so it seems that currently it is not possible to fulfil your requirement.

you can submit your feedback to Excel user voice to add this feature in future.

Excel User Voice

Regards

Deepak 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 13, 2017 7:26 AM
  • Thanks Deepak, I've submitted my feedback here:   Can we really "LOCK" VBA projects to disable code viewing in "Spreadsheet Compare tool"?

Thanks again.

• Edited by Gengpu Liu Monday, February 13, 2017 7:49 AM
    Monday, February 13, 2017 7:47 AM