How do you use the Picker control? RRS feed

• Question

• User172704 posted

Sorry for the general nature of this question, but I would struggle to be more specific, because I have tried so many alternative ways of using the Picker and I just cannot find any way to get it to render on iOS, Android and Windows Phone. I have something that looks passable on iOS, but on Android and Windows Phone, it is a complete mess. Check out the example rendering on iOS and Android in the attached files. You can see that iOS looks absolutely fine, but the same code on Android is a disaster.

Has anyone managed to use this control successfully across more than one platform?

Kind wishes ~ Patrick

Friday, May 27, 2016 9:15 AM

Answers

• User172704 posted

Thanks for the reply, @NMackay. I had done those things, but the link is useful for future reference.

Revoking USB permissions then re-enabling them on the phone finally kicked the whole thing into life.

The Picker looks much better on the real device, so it looks like @LucyLu.6013 was correct.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, May 27, 2016 3:24 PM

All replies

• User207282 posted

can u check it on real Mobile device rather than Emulater.

Friday, May 27, 2016 12:04 PM
  • User172704 posted

Hi, @LucyLu.6013,

So far, I have tried on a real iPhone5 and simulators for iPhone, Android (various) and Windows Phone (various). The iPhoneSimulator and the real iPhone are both fine. All the simulators for Windows Phone and Android render badly.

I am in the process of trying to deploy the application to a physical LG Spirit LTE (Android Version 5.0.1), but so far I can't get Xamarin Visual Studio 2015 to see it as a debug device. Any ideas how you get it to appear in the selection box at the top of Visual Studio?

Kind wishes ~ Patrick

Friday, May 27, 2016 1:45 PM
  • User76049 posted

@EasyGoingPat

You probably need the USB developer device drivers for that device, also you need to enable developer options and USB debugging, then restart Visual Studio and hopefully your device will appear in the dropdown list.

http://www.howtogeek.com/129728/how-to-access-the-developer-options-menu-and-enable-usb-debugging-on-android-4.2/ http://www.androidcentral.com/android-50-lollipop-basics-how-turn-developer-settings

If you've already done this then ignore this reply.

Friday, May 27, 2016 2:45 PM
  • User172704 posted

Thanks for the reply, @NMackay. I had done those things, but the link is useful for future reference.

Revoking USB permissions then re-enabling them on the phone finally kicked the whole thing into life.

The Picker looks much better on the real device, so it looks like @LucyLu.6013 was correct.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, May 27, 2016 3:24 PM