none
Have question about Kinect SDK 2.0 Licensing and Kinect One Drivers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I have developed Kinect App and want to sell my Kinect App installed in Mini PC as commercial product.

My question is Can I have included the Kinect SDK 2.0 and also the Kinect drivers, all pre-installed in the Mini PC with my Kinect app ready?

so when customer buy my Kinect App Mini PC, then customer just need to buy Kinect camera, and plug it to my Kinect mini pc product and works right away.

Does anyone has the answer?

Is there written in license terms that shows the permission that Kinect developer can do this way?

or

Does it requires to have written permission from Microsoft to permit?

or

The answer is can not include SDK 2.0, Kinect driver in pre-build Mini PC product.

Need to let end user, customers to install Kinect SDK 2.0, and Kinect driver by themselves?

Could someone has knowledge of with this licensing issue, please kindly to provide answer

and if possible to show where the link indicate?

Thanks,

Hsien Hsiang Chiu

Friday, August 5, 2016 3:30 AM

Answers

• Do you need to distribute SDK on end-user systems?

K4W SDK2.0 EULA states:

1. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.

a. Installation and Use. You may (i) install and use any number of copies of the software (only when

installed using the accompanying software installer package) on your computer to design, develop, and 

test your programs that run specifically on a Microsoft Windows operating system

From what you described - If you want to have Kinect v2 support pre-installed on your mini-pc systems without a need to download Kinect driver after customer plugs-in Kinect sensor you actually need to pre-install Kinect for Windows Runtime, not Kinect for Windows SDK which is used for development. K4W Runtime exists exactly for that purpose (see its description on the linked page)

• Marked as answer by Mydison Friday, August 5, 2016 4:02 PM
    Friday, August 5, 2016 10:38 AM

All replies

• Do you need to distribute SDK on end-user systems?

K4W SDK2.0 EULA states:

1. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.

a. Installation and Use. You may (i) install and use any number of copies of the software (only when

installed using the accompanying software installer package) on your computer to design, develop, and 

test your programs that run specifically on a Microsoft Windows operating system

From what you described - If you want to have Kinect v2 support pre-installed on your mini-pc systems without a need to download Kinect driver after customer plugs-in Kinect sensor you actually need to pre-install Kinect for Windows Runtime, not Kinect for Windows SDK which is used for development. K4W Runtime exists exactly for that purpose (see its description on the linked page)

• Marked as answer by Mydison Friday, August 5, 2016 4:02 PM
    Friday, August 5, 2016 10:38 AM
  • Hi Jan Marcincin,

Thank you for the right answer with details.

For others who have same question reference:

"The Kinect for Windows Runtime only includes the Kinect for Windows driver and runtime environment. ...

The Kinect for Windows Runtime is provided for IT professionals for the purpose of pre-installing Kinect 2.0 support on system images. "

Hsien Hsiang Chiu

Friday, August 5, 2016 4:12 PM