can asp.net use foxpro database to get information / data ? RRS feed

• Question

• User-851246726 posted

can asp.net use foxpro database to get information / data ?

If yes, What things I need to keep in mind ? does it matter what version of foxpro it is etc ? will I need anything extra to c onect with foxpro database ?

Friday, December 28, 2012 9:41 AM

All replies

• User1759999623 posted

I have used FoxPro databases before within an ASP.NET application.  The main issue that you may need to deal with is that you will need to have primary keys defined within your FoxPro tables if you want to be able to update your data from the application. This would mean that you should be using a DBC, thus meaning that you will need to using at least some version of Visual FoxPro and not FoxPro 2.5.

If all you are doing is presenting data, you should be able to use any FoxPro data since you won't be updating it.

Friday, December 28, 2012 9:47 AM
  • User-851246726 posted

I am creating a asp.net application and requirement is to get data from another program which is using foxpro database so I am assuming I only have to read data  from foxpro database ?

Friday, December 28, 2012 9:56 AM
  • User1759999623 posted

That would appear to be all that is necessary.  How are you going to bring the data into your application (DataSet, DataSource control, Entity Framework, etc.)?

Friday, December 28, 2012 5:59 PM
  • User-851246726 posted

That I haven't decided yet.

My another question is, if foxpro database sits on a server and my asp.net web application will sit on another server (both servers being in same network / organization) - Will my asp.net web application will be able to access fox pro database from anywhere using ODBC call ? Just like in asp.net in connection string we can access SQL server database by IP address ?

Sunday, December 30, 2012 7:41 AM
  • User1759999623 posted

As FoxPro is a file-based database, you will need to use a trusted connection between the two servers along with at least a UNC path to your FoxPro database folder.

Monday, December 31, 2012 9:38 AM