Can't install printer software for HP Deskjet 4580 printer on Windows Developer Preview

Question

• I have a 1 year old HP Deskjet 4580 printer that came with the software disk. When I try to install the software the disk does not give me an option to install, just exit. The disk works fine on other win 7 pc's. Is this a driver issue or a glitch in win 8?

Mike Ellaby

Original Title: Installing printer software
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 12:30 AM

Answers

• Since Windows 8 has not been released yet not all drivers are going to work with it. Some drivers are very specific about the operating system version, so you might have to wait until they release Windows 8 drivers (if they make them for your model).

If the Windows 7 drivers don't install, try installing them in compatibility mode.

Troubleshoot Compatibility
    This can help with some (but not all) programs/drivers:
    1) Uninstall the program if it's already installed. Then when you install/reinstall it instead of double clicking on the install file right click it and select "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
    2) Then click "Try Recommended Settings" and in the next windows click "Start the Program" to install it.
    3) After it installs see if it works correctly. Please note - some programs may not be able to run in Windows 8.

You can also try downloading newer drivers

Go to the website of the manufacturer and select your computer model (this is usually done in the Support section). You should have the option to download drivers for your model. Download the driver(s) and follow the instructions to install - every computer is different so I can't give you exact directions.

Thursday, February 9, 2012 1:56 AM

All replies

• Since Windows 8 has not been released yet not all drivers are going to work with it. Some drivers are very specific about the operating system version, so you might have to wait until they release Windows 8 drivers (if they make them for your model).

If the Windows 7 drivers don't install, try installing them in compatibility mode.

Troubleshoot Compatibility
    This can help with some (but not all) programs/drivers:
    1) Uninstall the program if it's already installed. Then when you install/reinstall it instead of double clicking on the install file right click it and select "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
    2) Then click "Try Recommended Settings" and in the next windows click "Start the Program" to install it.
    3) After it installs see if it works correctly. Please note - some programs may not be able to run in Windows 8.

You can also try downloading newer drivers

Go to the website of the manufacturer and select your computer model (this is usually done in the Support section). You should have the option to download drivers for your model. Download the driver(s) and follow the instructions to install - every computer is different so I can't give you exact directions.

Thursday, February 9, 2012 1:56 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion. It allowed me to install most of the software but failed the wirelessly connect to the printer. A few weeks ago I manually configured the IP to get the printer to work but I can't use the HP software. This doesn't sit to well for Win 8 beta if a 1 year old printer does not have compatible software. I assume no printers will work for the next ver unless their configured manually.

Mike Ellaby

Thursday, February 9, 2012 4:25 AM
  • This doesn't sit to well for Win 8 beta if a 1 year old printer does not have compatible software. I assume no printers will work for the next ver unless their configured manually.

HP is responsible for making drivers/software for their printers.

If they make Windows 8 drivers for your printer it should install much easier.

Thursday, February 9, 2012 5:52 PM
  • I don't think HP is making any drivers for win 8. On their website there is no options for win 8.

Mike Ellaby

Friday, February 10, 2012 2:06 AM
  • Since Windows 8 has not been released yet there are not many drivers available.

In the future device makers will have more drivers for Windows 8. It's not very reasonable to expect them to have drivers before the beta version of Windows 8 has even been released yet.

Friday, February 10, 2012 5:22 AM
  • Have tried seveeral HP printersin Win8DP. All work wired and wireless.

Friday, February 10, 2012 4:15 PM
  • Because there is no such thing as Windows 8. Why would retaqilers supply software or drivers for a OS thats is only in Developers Review and not even BETA, get a clue dude.

Friday, February 10, 2012 4:17 PM
  • devilgas, I can get my HP printer to work also but I can't run the included CD software. Can you actually get the disk to install HP's software?

Mike Ellaby

Friday, February 10, 2012 6:15 PM