none
VB6 Word Add-in Application Version Setting RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

When developing an Office Word add-in using the VB6 designer will the add-in run on Word 12 if the Application Version is set to "Microsoft Word 14"?

Thanks in advance

Michael McGinty CY Innovations Pty Ltd Publisher of Advantage VBM freeware www.cyinnovations.com

• Moved by Hila Shemer Tuesday, July 24, 2012 3:17 PM This question is not related to apps for Office. (From:Developing Apps for Office)
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 2:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

As Cindy suggested, if there are both word 12.0 and 14.0 object library on your PC, it will select the more advanced version of word. If you want to the add-in connect to word 12.0, you should delete the advanced version of object library via your regedit.

Thanks,

Leo_Gao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, July 30, 2012 7:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike

It's not clear what you mean by "Application Version"?

In general terms, you problem set a reference to the Word type library (*.olb)? As I recall, that was Tools/References in VB6, same as in VBA, and there you select "Microsoft Word ##.0 object library" where ##.0 represents the version number.

If you select the object library for Word 2007 (version 12.0) then your add-in will certainly work with that version of Word and probably also with 2010 and even 2013. But it most likely wouldn't load in an earlier version (2003).

As a rule-of-thumb, you should link to the oldest version of Word you intend to support.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:19 AM
  • Thanks Cindy

Maybe this is more a VB6 question. It is not to do with the object library References

The VB6 Add-in Designer has drop down lists in which I must specify the Initial Load Behaviour as well as the Application Version. It only allows me to select the version of Word currently installed on my PC ie 14. But will the add-in still connect to Word 12?

Michael McGinty CY Innovations Pty Ltd Publisher of Advantage VBM freeware www.cyinnovations.com

Thursday, July 26, 2012 3:48 AM
  • Hi Mike,

As Cindy suggested, if there are both word 12.0 and 14.0 object library on your PC, it will select the more advanced version of word. If you want to the add-in connect to word 12.0, you should delete the advanced version of object library via your regedit.

Thanks,

Leo_Gao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, July 30, 2012 7:58 AM