none
When try to add a webpart getting below error RRS feed

All replies

• Hi SravanC.

Which webpart are you trying to add? Is that a SharePoint webpart or a custom one?
    How are you adding the webpart?
    Did you check the SharePoint ULS logs to get more detailed information about the error?

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Thursday, April 11, 2019 2:48 PM
  • Hi Bruno,

Thank you for the response. I verifed the ULS logs but no clue 

Can you give me sequence of steps verifying ULS logs with verbose enabling? 

Friday, April 12, 2019 4:15 AM
  • Hi Bruno,

Thank you for the response. I verifed the ULS logs but no clue 

Can you give me sequence of steps verifying ULS logs with verbose enabling? 

Open an administrative SharePoint Management shell and execute the Set-SPLogLevel cmdlet to configure the logging level according to your needs; then execute the New-SPLogFile and try again adding the web part.
    When you finish, execute the Clear-SPLogLevel to reset the Windows event logging and trace logging to their default values and execute again the New-SPLogFile cmdlet to be sure that all the information related to your troubleshooting are isolated into a separate ULS log file.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Friday, April 12, 2019 9:52 AM
  • Hi Bruno

Thank you.

I understood the overall flow, but my query here is 

set-sploglevel

in this command (set-sploglevel) shall I put both event level and trace level both to verbose? 
    can you frame the command give me? 

2. new-SPlogfile ( is this command enough? or do I need to add anything in this command line?)

3. Repro this issue

4. Clear-sploglevel

5. New-SPloglevel 

so where we capture the logs from 2nd or 5th step to get an idea on web part error 
    and please correct the commands and sequence if anything wrong 
    Friday, April 12, 2019 10:09 AM
  • Hi Bruno

Thank you.

I understood the overall flow, but my query here is 

set-sploglevel

in this command (set-sploglevel) shall I put both event level and trace level both to verbose? 
    can you frame the command give me? 

2. new-SPlogfile ( is this command enough? or do I need to add anything in this command line?)

3. Repro this issue

4. Clear-sploglevel

5. New-SPloglevel 

so where we capture the logs from 2nd or 5th step to get an idea on web part error 
    and please correct the commands and sequence if anything wrong 

You can tune the event logging level: if you want to get all detailed information, use the -EventSeverity Verbose -TraceSeverity Verbose options for the Set-SPLogLevel.
    The New-SPLogFile must be executed without any additional switch: you have to execute this before trying adding the web part, in order to be sure that all the information will be recorded in this new log file (take note of its name).
    After performing your tests (i.e., completing steps from 3 to 5), use the previously generated log file (whose name you0ve recorded) to look for information.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Friday, April 12, 2019 10:40 AM
  • Hi Bruno,

Thank you for the response and your patience.

I have got an idea now how to proceed. my doubt I executed New-SPlogfile

how do we know that where logs are located once executed this new-sploglevel  command 

is it in default path? 

will it be merged with existing log file? if it yes then how to segregate? 

where to check? 

could you please clarify on this. Thanks for your help. 

• Edited by SravanC Friday, April 12, 2019 11:02 AM
    Friday, April 12, 2019 11:02 AM
  • Hi Bruno,

Thank you for the response and your patience.

I have got an idea now how to proceed. my doubt I executed New-SPlogfile

how do we know that where logs are located once executed this new-sploglevel  command 

is it in default path? 

will it be merged with existing log file? if it yes then how to segregate? 

where to check? 

could you please clarify on this. Thanks for your help. 

If you didn't change the default path (%ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\Logs) for the ULS log files, those files will be stored there.
    The New-SpLogFile cmdlet doe not merge multiple ULS log files: it creates a new separate ULS log file, that's why I've suggested you to use it.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Friday, April 12, 2019 12:42 PM
  • Hi Bruno,

Yes. I understood that it will create a file in the new path other than default path. But I want to know where it creates because  we did not give any path in the command while executing new-splogfile. 

I mean how do I find out that those are the logs that created when we executed new-splogfile 

Thank you 

• Edited by SravanC Friday, April 12, 2019 1:31 PM
    Friday, April 12, 2019 1:20 PM
  • Hi Bruno,

Yes. I understood that it will create a file in the new path other than default path. But I want to know where it creates because  we did not give any path in the command while executing new-splogfile. 

I mean how do I find out that those are the logs that created when we executed new-splogfile 

Thank you 

The path where the SharePoint ULS log files are store can be viewed/set by going to Central Administration > Monitoring > Configure diagnostic logging: the default path is %ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\Logs.
    Open Windows Explorer and browse to that folder: leave Windows Explorer open while executing the PowerShell cmdlets so you can see the new log file appearing as soon as it is created.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Friday, April 12, 2019 2:54 PM
  • Thanks Bruno. 
    Saturday, April 13, 2019 5:16 AM
  • Thanks Bruno. 

You're welcome.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Saturday, April 13, 2019 11:12 AM
  • Hi, SravanC,

Please mark the reply as answer if you find it helpful. It will help other community members having similar issues to find the solution easily.

Best Regards

Jerry Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, April 15, 2019 1:10 AM
  • I am still investigating. will done once it is completed 
    Monday, April 15, 2019 4:00 AM
  • Hi, SravanC,

It has been a few days. Any finding or update about your issue?

Best Regards

Jerry Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, April 25, 2019 6:04 AM
  • Hi Bruno,

Can you tell me how to execute these log commands in the SP 2007

I have opened the ISE and ran below  command to make as a powershell 

[System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName("Microsoft.SharePoint")

but when i execute "New-SPlogfile" it is not creating any new log file in SharePoint 2007 like 2010

Can we create log file with the hep of New-SPlogFile  in the new location though already there is path configured in the diagnostic logging? 

• Edited by SravanC Thursday, May 16, 2019 11:37 AM
    Thursday, May 16, 2019 11:03 AM