Deploy Outlook Addin with Installshield RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I am developing an outlook addin with VS 2012. I has to run on Outlook 2007, 2010 and also 2013. I was very recently told that the "Setup Project" type is no longer available in VS 2012, therefore i am using installshield. I am not to sure what the best route for my installation is, especially on how to register the addin finally.

Since the addin has to run on, lets say Windows XP with just .NET 2.0 on it, my plan is to check with installshield if 4.0 (and other prerequisites) is present, download and install it, and then install the addin. This is where it gets unclear. Is it intended to reference the Addin-Project output in the Files section of installshield? Or should i reference the Published Addin content?

If i publish the addin, i get a setup.exe, an ADDIN.vsto and an Application Files folder. I could reference all of this and then execute the setup.exe via Custom Action?

If i reference the output in the installer Files section, it only copies the content of Application Files to the installer package. But i could then let this files be deployed by the installer itself, without having the Prepublished files copied to some place on the target machine?

Thanks for reading and helping,

Florian

Friday, January 25, 2013 1:51 PM

Answers

• there are few separate problems here:

1. how to properly deploy add-in via installshield - go with route that you would take with setup project in VS 2010 - add project output and content to Installshiled File section then build installshield project using for example SingleImage setting - it will generate setup.exe for you

2. Not a valid win32 app - it usually indicates that exe is .net based (at least partially, for example VC++ with /clr flag) and something is missing, either proper .net framework or VC runtime. But this problem is moot right now - go with first option above and forget about this.

Friday, January 25, 2013 7:28 PM

All replies

• I tried to run the installer on a Windows XP machine with Office 2007. I went the route with the Custom Action after install, so it tries to execute the setup.exe that was published by the Addin-Project.

Installshield installs .net 4.0 and the windows installer 4.5. When it tries to execute the setup.exe after the installation completed, i get an "[exe-path]/setup.exe is not a valid win32 application" error. This error also occured before when i tried to install the Published addin without installshield.

Any ideas why xp thinks this is not a valid 32bit application? It was compiled for x86, and .net 2.0, 3.5, 4.0 are present. I dont think the file is corrupt, it works in every iteration on my windows 8 host system and on a windows 7 32 bit machine.

• Edited by chilltax Friday, January 25, 2013 3:02 PM
    Friday, January 25, 2013 3:02 PM
  • there are few separate problems here:

1. how to properly deploy add-in via installshield - go with route that you would take with setup project in VS 2010 - add project output and content to Installshiled File section then build installshield project using for example SingleImage setting - it will generate setup.exe for you

2. Not a valid win32 app - it usually indicates that exe is .net based (at least partially, for example VC++ with /clr flag) and something is missing, either proper .net framework or VC runtime. But this problem is moot right now - go with first option above and forget about this.

Friday, January 25, 2013 7:28 PM