Files not showing in Folders window RRS feed

• Question

• I have an existing site, created with Frontpage, with hundreds of images.  I just bought Expression Studio 4, web professional.  First, when I open my website, I am not prompted for my server login and password.  And my files are not showing in the Folders window.  While I used the trial version, this was not an issue -- program worked perfectly.  Any suggestions out there?

Thursday, March 31, 2011 12:31 PM

All replies

• If you are opening your site locally for editing, you will not be prompted for a u/n and password. If you are opening the site remotely for editing, don't. It is poor practice and makes some functions of EW awkward or impossible to use (e.g. DWTs).

It is difficult to determine exactly what you are doing from your post, although it does appear from the description that you're talking about editing live. Please describe exactly what you are doing, step-by-step, so we will know where in the process your issue may be arising.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 1:35 PM
  • Thanks for responding.  I'm not a computer wizard, just a business owner trying to edit my website.  (That why I need WYSIWYG software.) I've always just used "Open" and entered the website address.  In the past, with frontpage and trial version of Expression web, I've been prompted for server login and password.  Then, all files always popped up in the folders window.  Neither of those are happening now.  I usually just make changes, save, and all is well.

lori
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 2:49 PM
  • Well, just so you know, if you "... need WYSIWYG software... " you're using the wrong tool. This is directly from the Prerequisites for Using Microsoft Expression Web page, compiled by Microsoft Support:

Is Expression Web a What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get (WYSIWYG) tool?
    No. Expression Web does a good job of approximating what your page will look like in any particular browser. However, the Expression Web design surface does not fully support all code that you might be using. For example, CSS pseudo-element styles are not rendered in Design view in Expression Web.

EW is not FrontPage, so your first step should be to presume that you are working with an entirely new, and different, program. To edit your site, and especially to have EW manage the site, you need to create a local site, set up a publishing destination with your site credentials, and publish down to your local machine. Thenceforth, open the local site, make any edits you wish to make, then publish the changes up to the live remote site.

That way, you prevent errors from being viewable live while you're working to correct them, plus you have a local copy of the site in case disaster strikes and you lose the online server's copy. This can happen. Ask the folks who were around for Katrina, or the Loma Linda earthquake, or the recent tsunami, or...

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 4:03 PM
  • Thank you.  I did finally figure it out.  I'm sure the problem sounds elementary to someone like you who really knows what you're doing.....  but I had been trying to open the site at http://www..... as in the past.   Trial version allowed that.  I need to open with ftp.     I can create and edit fine now. Just couldn't get in and see my files.  Now all is well. 

Thank you for helping.  You are the only person who responded and I appreciate that.  Have a great day!

lori
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 5:03 PM