Linked Sharepoint Task List - Cannot 'See' Parent ID Field RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using access DB + sharepoint links for a couple years now, and it is awesome. Does just what I need with no help or special tools from our IT dept. However now I'm struggling because I'm trying to use a task list with subtasks and automatically add tasks given certain parameters in my macros in access. I linked to the table and that's great, I've gone to the headers and right clicked and clicked 'Unhide columns' to see all the columns I can. Unfortunately, the Parent ID column is still not in there. From sharepoint I see the Parent ID column is listed under indexed columns, but that's it. Am I missing a permission or something to see this field? I would like to copy old tasks and add as new ones, which I have set up already via an append query in access, however I can't do anything with the parent ID field so there are no relationships between the tasks other than predecessor stuff. Trick is I really want to see them grouped on sharepoint the way it does out of the box with the subtasks...
    Tuesday, January 16, 2018 7:42 PM

All replies

• Hi AHoltKCMO,

you had mentioned that," I'm trying to use a task list with subtasks and automatically add tasks given certain parameters in my macros in access"

If you are using code then i suggest you to post your code. It will be helpful for us to understand the issue in better way.

other thing i want to confirm you about your statement,"I've gone to the headers and right clicked and clicked 'Unhide columns' to see all the columns I can. Unfortunately, the Parent ID column is still not in there."

If it is not displaying in the list below.

which means that field is not available in Access Table.

It will be helpful if you post screenshot of Access and SharePoint.

We will try to reproduce the issue and try to provide you further suggestions.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 9:47 AM
  • Correct, the unhide feature you reference is what I tried to look at. I am not coding, just trying to use the built in 'external data' feature of Access. 

Thursday, January 18, 2018 4:09 PM
  • Hi soldstatic,

If i am understanding correctly, Do you mean you want to see '2-February - Monthly Reporting' in Parent ID Column?

I think that SharePoint is not providing this field so Access is not displaying it.

Currently I am not available with SharePoint to create these kind of list and link it with Access.

So I am not able to reproduce the issue on my side.

I will try to request for SharePoint and if i get then I will try to make a test and try to reproduce the issue.

You had mentioned that you link that list with Access Table.

Did you try to 'import the data' option just for testing purpose to see whether it brings that field or not.

If you did not test it before then you can try to make a test and let us know about the result.

There is no any other option in Access to make this field available in table.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 19, 2018 2:01 AM
  • Hi Deepak,

is there a subtask relationship in other sharepoint database table

David

Monday, May 28, 2018 7:43 AM
  • Hi David Emerson Zhao,

You had asked,"is there a subtask relationship in other sharepoint database table"

I did not understand correctly from that one line of description.

I suggest you to create a new thread with detailed description.

We will try to provide suggestions on that new thread.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Monday, May 28, 2018 9:37 AM