none
When I try to create a web form with master page, Site.Master does not appear in the contents of folder

Question

• Hello

I have the Visual Studio 2015 Community and  when I try to create a web form with master page, Site.Master and Site.Mobile.Master don't appear in the contents of folder. Can anyone help?

Thank you

• Edited by Geo Mits Wednesday, May 04, 2016 4:52 PM
    Wednesday, May 04, 2016 4:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Geo Mits,

Thanks for your quick response.

I follow the steps you offered, and I have reproduced your case, the behavior in my side is same to yours. I tested in VS2015 and VS2013.

So I think this is by design in Visual Studio.  As far as I know, if you want to add the Site.Master, add new item -> web form master page.

In addition, if you feel like this behavior is not correct. You could submit the user voice here , after that please post the result here, which will benefit others who has the similar issue

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Friday, May 06, 2016 1:07 AM

All replies

• Hi G.Mits,

Thanks for your post.

Could you please tell me what's the version of your Visual Studio 2015 Community?

I did a test in my side using VS2015 Community Update2. And I create a ASP.NET web form application, and I can find the Site.Master and Site.Mobile.Master in the project.

Please try running Visual Studio in Safe mode to Check whether some add-ins and extensions affect it(devenv /safemode).

Also try to create a new ASP.NET web form project to check whether the Site.Master and Site.Mobile.Master could be appeared.

If still can't find the Site.Master and Site.Mobile.Master. I suppose there might be something with your VS2015. Try to repair or install the VS2015 Community Update2.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Thursday, May 05, 2016 2:58 AM
  • Hi Lake Xiao

Thank you for your answer. I just finished installing update 2 and the problem still exists (and in safe mode as wel)l. When I create a new ASP.NET web form the Site.Master and the Site.Mobile.Master exist as in your picture, so I would like to narrow it down a little more. The problem exists when I create an ASP.NET web application with MVC template and the web forms box ticked. Then when I add new item -> web form with master page, there's no  Site.Master and Site.Mobile.Master to choose.

With appretiation

Geo Mits

Thursday, May 05, 2016 11:32 AM
  • Hi Geo Mits,

Thanks for your quick response.

I follow the steps you offered, and I have reproduced your case, the behavior in my side is same to yours. I tested in VS2015 and VS2013.

So I think this is by design in Visual Studio.  As far as I know, if you want to add the Site.Master, add new item -> web form master page.

In addition, if you feel like this behavior is not correct. You could submit the user voice here , after that please post the result here, which will benefit others who has the similar issue

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Friday, May 06, 2016 1:07 AM