Kerning? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been searching all morning and haven't found an answer to this question: can I adjust kerning or tracking in Expression Blend?

They are basic, fundamental principles of typography and it would seem that I can't use them in Blend. I understand that type handling has limits in a digital format, but what is up with this? Is the Expression team aware of this issue? Are they working to correct it? From a design stand-point tracking is definitely an expectation.

I can do it in Design, but the xaml does not export.

Thoughts? Work-arounds?

Thanks.
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 4:43 PM

All replies

• Also, I know it is possible to export from Design as paths and maintain the tracking settings, but this leaves the text uneditable. Can I somehow keep all the settings without creating paths?

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 7:35 PM
  • Yes, it is true the real-time Kerning is not yet supported by Silverlight or WPF as a run-time feature (i.e. it won't work in the running application), and hence does not work in the import of XAML/PS/AI.

I would not be surprised to see this supported by the platform in the near future (it is extremly high on our wish list), however. For now, the only option is to convert the exported text as path (but that suffers from the drawback you mention).

Thanks,
    Unni
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 6:44 AM