Kiosk Application Development

General discussion

• Hi,

I want to develop a rich UI based interactive Kiosk application, which can read cards and interact with external card printers and should call the WCF services.

I want to know which platform is good and latest to develop this ?

It would be great if any one provide the answer for my below questions

1) Which platform is Well suited

2) Need a start up document or link

3) Coding samples

4) Main things needs to be considered while developing this application

5) Kiosk application should read and interact with external card printers

6) WCF service support

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 12:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Daraduram,

This forum is specifically about designing user interfaces for Windows Store apps. You may be better off narrowing down your project requirements and posting in a more appropriate forum based on them.

That said, it's not clear if what you want can be done as a Windows Store app or not. In particular, I'm not sure what external card printers are or what sort of interface is used for them. If it is too specific then that may require a desktop app.

Beyond that, I believe everything you mention can be done in a Windows Store app on Windows 8 Embedded (for its Kiosk mode). See Learn to build Windows Store apps to get started.

--Rob

Thursday, February 28, 2013 12:38 AM
    Owner
  • Hi Rob,

Thanks you for your reply. Let me explain my requirement very clearly. I don't know where exactly to post the above question.

I want to develop a Metro kind of kiosk desktop application. Its not a Windows Store apps

Which technology I can choose whether WPF Application or Windows 8 or Windows Surface or Windows 8  Embedded  ?

What are the main things needs to be considered while developing Kiosk application ?

Application should be able to interact with legic card readers.

-- Karthik

Monday, March 4, 2013 10:20 AM
  • Hi Karthik,

If your primary goal is coding and getting the coding right, I would recommend you do some reading on Agile development methodology to know where to start.  If your goal is business oriented, and your primary interest is that others use your work when you are done, I would recommend you start with reading "Lean Start-Up" to know where to start.

Daniel

Monday, March 4, 2013 11:35 PM
  • Hi Karthik,

You'll need to talk to your legic card reader vendor to see what environments they support. If it's a custom device it likely won't be supported as a Windows Store app, so you would need to write this as a desktop app.

I'm not sure what you mean by WPF Application or Windows 8 or Windows Surface or Windows 8 Embedded.

Windows 8 and Windows 8 Embedded are OSes.
    Windows Surface is a device which runs either Windows 8 or Windows RT (depending on the Surface Version).
    WPF Applications are applications written in WPF. They can run on Windows 8 or Windows 8 Embedded.

Kiosk apps are generally written on Windows 8 Embedded. That OS has policy settings to lock the system in to a Kiosk mode. You can get some Kiosk-like behavior on Windows 8, but cannot lock things down as fully.

For information on policies please see http://technet.microsoft.com
    To discuss writing desktop apps in general please see the Windows Desktop Development Forums
    To discuss writing WPF apps please see the Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) forum.

The Windows Store apps Forums are for discussion of writing Windows Store apps. The UI Design for Windows Store apps is specifically for discussing the design of such apps.

--Rob

Monday, March 4, 2013 11:56 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Rob,

Thanks for your information.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 6:40 AM