none
Finetuning capitalizations RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

(I've written a fair amount of code in Access, and a bit in Excel— so I'm not a complete novice. But I have almost no experience using it in Word.)

I kind of like Word's automatic capitalization of new sentences, because I'm not a very good typist. But there are lots of times when I need to force a line break for one reason or another, and don't want it to capitalize the new line. Is there any way to write code that will keep it capitalizing after "period-space" but not after every line break?

And if that is indeed possible, can we make it even dicier: Don't auto-capitalize after a line break unless the preceding line ended with a period?

Thanks!

• Edited by Nick_Vittum Monday, February 1, 2016 2:29 PM
    Monday, February 1, 2016 2:29 PM

Answers

• Have you thought of using Shift-Enter instead of just Enter? Shift-Enter inserts a line-break within a paragraph and the new line won't auto-capitalize the first letter.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 1:24 AM
  • Not feasible, at least, and not possible unless you want to get into API-level programming.

Do note that, if you really want the final output to have paragraph breaks instead of line breaks, you could achieve that via a Find/Replace, where:
    Find = ^l
    Replace = ^p

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by Nick_Vittum Wednesday, February 3, 2016 2:40 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 3:16 AM

All replies

• Have you thought of using Shift-Enter instead of just Enter? Shift-Enter inserts a line-break within a paragraph and the new line won't auto-capitalize the first letter.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 1:24 AM
  • Thanks Paul. I knew that once, but had forgotten when I wrote this, and  have used that as a work-around in the past. I also have a shortcut built in so I can toggle upper/lower case by pressing Alt-C, if I make a mistake. Still (maybe just because I love code) I'd love to learn a way to alter Word's capitalization rule, rather than working around it.

—Nick

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 1:13 PM
  • It's not really a workaround - it's a tool designed for what you describes as "times when I need to force a line break". In more general terms, though, the capitalisation on new paragraphs (which is what you create when your press Enter instead of Shift-Enter), reflects Word's Autocorrect setting for 'Capitalize the first letter of sentences'. You could turn that off, but then Word won't capitalize any sentence.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 8:33 PM
  • Understood. So— are you telling me that what I was hoping for is impossible? Or should we leave this open a while longer?

—Nick

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 10:02 PM
  • So— are you telling me that what I was hoping for is impossible?

Well, if what you want is for Word to 'Capitalize the first letter of sentences' except when they start a paragraph, yes. Would you really want Word to act that way?

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 10:26 PM
  • No, that's not exactly what I'm wanting. In its current configuration, Word automatically capitalizes (assuming that option is selected) the first character following a period or  a paragraph break. I want it to capitalize the first character following a period only— but do so regardless whether or not there's an intervening paragraph break.

I realize it's a big reach— especially when, as you say, I could just use a line break instead. I suppose it's frivolous, and I'm willing to let go of it if it's not possible. But I am curious.

—Nick

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 3:02 AM
  • Not feasible, at least, and not possible unless you want to get into API-level programming.

Do note that, if you really want the final output to have paragraph breaks instead of line breaks, you could achieve that via a Find/Replace, where:
    Find = ^l
    Replace = ^p

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by Nick_Vittum Wednesday, February 3, 2016 2:40 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 3:16 AM
  • Thanks, Paul

Yes, I have used the global search & replace when it mattered whether they were line breaks or paragraph. Okay, then, I'll let go of this one. Thanks for your input!

—Nick

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 2:40 PM