bluetooth crashes and issues

Question

• I just purchased on iogear bluetooth dongle and am having issues.

1. If I leave the dongle in and put my computer to sleep it will not wake up.
    2. If I pull the dongle out while the computer is running I get a blue screen
    3. my bluetooth headphones have a lot of artifacts (pops and crackles)
    4. my bluetooth headphones are playing mono instead of stereo.

any tips on fixing these issues?

Monday, November 28, 2011 7:37 PM

All replies

• hi there,

might be a compatibility issue but it is surely very early to worry about it.

could you share make and model to check status on maker's site? concerning sleep/hibernation/wake issue, this is a classic symptom of device drivers not optimized for this OS (which at the time beeing is quite normal), disabling power management feature on the device's properties is a common workaround.

as a general fact about drivers on Win8 DP, a certified WHQL Win7 driver *should* work well... as long as the same architecture is observerd (32/64).

as another general fact, many devices drivers are not working as excpected in Win8, and will not work until upgraded drivers are made availables for them once Win8 hits at least public beta stage...it is way too early to be expectating good results on specific devices (I don't know as a fact yours is *specific* but BT headsets might be considered this way as long as not mainstream/high volume sellers and WHQL on Win7 basis).

just my two cents...

By the way a BSOD on a device hotplug stage is kind of indicating the OS cannot get a hold of the device's driver management feature, which could indicate a wrongly setup device driver.

Pierre.

Http://www.redkaffe.com - Consultant/Formateur en region PACA
    Monday, November 28, 2011 8:04 PM
  • My laptop is a dell inspiron duo, my bluetooth device is this one: http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Bluetooth-Micro-Adapter-GBU421/dp/B0018O9JIG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1322523969&sr=8-2 and my headphones are sony DR-BT50s.

I'm getting more crazy problems, windows media player will not play music any more and my picture password isn't working right. I'm surprised that my picture password would be effected by a bluetooth dongle but it appears to be so. I'll do some restart tests to double check.

When you say disable the power management features on my device, which device do you mean? I only see power management options for my laptop and there is no option to "disable" only set it to balanced or power saver.

Also, the only drivers would be for the usb dongle and I have not installed drivers from the manufacturer, I am currently using the microsoft drivers.

• Edited by Carbaholic Monday, November 28, 2011 11:51 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 11:47 PM
  • I woud first check and see if there are any errors in the event viewer.
    If not relevant errors, then I suggest you refresh your PC.

When you refresh your PC, your files and personalization settings won't change.
    Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.
    Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

Follow the steps below to restore your PC:
    Enter the Start screen
    Click Control Panel
    Click General on the left column
    Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started
    Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.
    Once the refresh has finished, test to see if you are still seeing errors such as the Windows Media Player and password issue.

Let us know if this helps.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Sunday, December 4, 2011 8:16 PM