none
VB.net & SQL server express RRS feed

• Question

• I've developed a vb.net application that uses an Access db as it's database.
    Now I'd like to update it (As recommended)to use sql server express.
    I've done a bit of investigation and some testing, also migrated the db to sql server express 2012
    and a lot of it works just by changing to sqlclient and using a different connection string and a bit of modification of the sql statements.
    But before I start in ernest, there are a few things I'm not sure about.
    I use a commercial CAD system. The version I am on currently is 2016, however I see they are still shipping it with sql server express 2008.
    So that made me wonder if 2017 is the best version to develop against?
    The current application is deployed by using clickonce, I just deploy the app with the database and have some prerequisites like
    accessdatabaseengine.exe and the .net framework. If they don't exist on the target computer they get downloaded from microsoft.
    Is it possible to deploy sqlserver and the actual database files in a similar fashion?

Friday, December 7, 2018 6:11 PM

All replies

• I would read over the first reply in the link below.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32956142/how-to-deploy-application-with-sql-server-database-on-clients

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Friday, December 7, 2018 6:35 PM
  • I use a commercial CAD system. The version I am on currently is 2016, however I see they are still shipping it with sql server express 2008.

So that made me wonder if 2017 is the best version to develop against?

Just becuase a company doesn't keep pace with new technology releases mean that a new release of software is lessor than a previous version. However, most companies do wait  awhile for a version to be settled in with patches before a company moves to a later version of software.  

The release of software such a MS SQL Server Express 2017 is going to have all the features that were available in the 2008 version and more. I am not saying that the express version is going to have all the bells and whistles that the server version has, becuase it is an express edition that if free to use.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/sql-server/what-s-new-in-sql-server-2017?view=sql-server-2017

Is it possible to deploy sqlserver and the actual database files in a similar fashion?

I would say no, and where you should be posting the question is to the MS SQL Server express forum.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/home?forum=sqlexpress

• Edited by DA924x Friday, December 7, 2018 11:53 PM
    Friday, December 7, 2018 11:49 PM