none
Read Exchange Mailboxes in Offline EDB file programmatically RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I've an offline EDB file of exchange server which has around 2 mailboxes and mails inside them. I would like to read them along with mails. I tried searching a lot in the internet, but no where I could get exact information about reading EDB file.

As per my analysis, I've decided to read it using ManagedESENT API (C#). For this, I've got an Open Source http://www.emmet-gray.com/Articles/ViewESE.html.

Using this I'm able to successfully read the tables and data inside each table. But I cannot map the tables and form a user-viewable structure (Username -> Mailbox -> Categories(Contacts, Inbox, Sent Items etc) -> Items inside category) like many utilities do.

I also tried looking at https://github.com/libyal/libesedb. But it's not very clear & din't get anything out of their code or documentation. 

Help me get started !!

Thanks in Advance :)

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 1:54 AM

All replies

• There is no public API or library that will allow you to do what you want, i.e. your going to have license it from another party like Lucid8 or build it out on your own via RE and Testing methods.  Also the schema has major changes between versions i.e. each of the below versions is different

2000/2003

Search, Recover, Export Mailboxes, Folders, Email, Contacts, Calendars, Tasks, etc. from Offline Exchange Databases (EDBs), On-Premise Exchange Servers and Office 365. Migrate/Recover direct from any offline EDB into any On-Premises Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 → 2007 → 2010 →2013 → 2016 → Office 365 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 4:41 PM
  • Hello Troy,

First of all, thanks for the reply. I actually don't want to use an utility but want to build the one. So, I cannot use Lucid 8 as said. Can you please suggest any ideas about building on my own instead of using a third party one ? 

Doubt 1 : What do you mean by RE & Testing Methods ?

Doubt 2 : If there was no public API, how did the utilities like Veeam Explorer, Systools EDB viewer, Kernel's EDB viewer etc develop (like the one I need) without any use of third party softwares ?

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 10:54 PM
    1. Basically you have to get a team of devs to explore and record the schema, enter some manual data for all types and all options and then poke and prod at it to document and test your builds
    2. You would also need the team to understand Outlook so that you could export to PST or recover to live DB's
    3. Assuming they all did # 1 since there is no API from MS or anyone else that I know of
    4. We had to do it this way with a rather large team to develop, test, fix, repeat, we started in 2007 and kept improving it to get where we are now.
    5. The products you mentioned above are rather poor quality IMHO i.e. when you start looking at the extracted data it can be wrong or incomplete
    6. The 3 best tools on the market (put out reliable results) IMHO are Kroll, Quest(Now Dell) and Lucid8's DigiScope (Dell used to sell us until they bought quest)
    7. We have an API we license to 3rd parties and its the only true one on the market, i.e. Kroll and Quest have command line capabilities that one can call to take action but you have to install their product to use it.
    8. I don't mean to be discouraging, however its a ton of very detailed work and allot more time to get it right. If you have a team of say 8-10 of very talented devs to work on it you can probably get a base model in 6 - 9 months at best and something more solid in 18 - 24 months. 

What's driving the demand to do this on your end?

Search, Recover, Export Mailboxes, Folders, Email, Contacts, Calendars, Tasks, etc. from Offline Exchange Databases (EDBs), On-Premise Exchange Servers and Office 365. Migrate/Recover direct from any offline EDB into any On-Premises Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 → 2007 → 2010 →2013 → 2016 → Office 365 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 11:18 PM