ActiveSync not Syncing all emails RRS feed

• Question

• I work for a small software company, we generate emails using the msmail.dll, our application calls the dll file and the emial is sent using excahnge 2003 through outlook 2010, recently some of our clients have started using IPads and IPhones syncing them using MS ActiveSync. All other emails will sync except the ones we gnerate using the msmail.dll. Anyone have any ideas? Is there an update the msmail.dll we are using (the only information i have on the msmail.dll file is the date it is 12/20/1995)? Is there some piece of informaiton missing from the email that is generated using msmail.dll. I have hit all of the syncing issues and nothing seems to be helping.
    Monday, October 3, 2011 5:13 PM

Answers

• I understand. Overall, this is just not a good scenario all around. There are generally two options here, and I'm somewhat obligated to encourage to you to pursue #1...

1. Update your code to use a newer API to send e-mails. (And I realize this is probably logistically painful at this point).

2. We can investigate the root cause of this further, but please open a support incident if you wish to do so. Some of this you can do yourself if you choose. You can download a MAPI utility, like http://www.codeplex.com/MFCMAPI and then get a list of all of the MAPI properties on a message that won't sync. Then forward it to the same user and get another list of the properties and compare the two. Given the age of MSMAIL.DLL, you should find that those e-mails have a much smaller subset of MAPI properties on them. There's no magic answer as to which properties may be related to the problem, but you can play around with this by deleting properties of a good message until it breaks. Of course, it may be specific to the contents of the properties, too, and not just whether the properties are there.

The big question for #2 is what can be done about it? It may be that ActiveSync was designed in such a way that this just doesn't work. Or, it also may be that these types of messages were just never considered, so it could be considered a bug. Or, maybe there is nothing technically wrong with ActiveSync, but rather Apple's implementation of that. You had mentioned that Blackberry devices sync these messages OK, but last I heard RIM is not using ActiveSync, so I don't think that's a valid comparison.

Either way, even if we do find out root cause, I'd venture to guess the chance of having this fixed would be pretty slim. If you do open a support incident, I was told the ActiveSync support team would look at this, so please let me know the incident number and I can make sure it gets to the right place.

Thanks!

Bill Jacob - Microsoft Customer Service & Support - Messaging Developer
    • Proposed as answer by Bill Ja - MSFT Tuesday, October 11, 2011 4:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Thursday, October 20, 2011 12:01 PM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 8:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Unfortunately this is not a scenario that we could directly support, you would really need to use a more up-to-date approach to programmatically sending e-mails. Which approach to use would vary depending on your scenario (i.e. client-side vs. server-side, SMTP-based vs MAPI/Outlook-based, performance considerations, etc.). If you can explain a bit more about your application that generates e-mails, I can provide some more information to get you started.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 2:52 PM
  • Mr. Jacob,

This application is what we consider our legacy product, it is an application written in Omnis 7 version 3, a very old development platform. Our clients are limited in its resources and slow to adopt new technology; once our application is installed it is there for 10 to 20 years.  In any case, this is what happens. Emails sent from our application are received by the mail recipient in outlook, but the MS ActiveSync does not sync the mail to the remote hardware (Ipad/Iphone), if the user forwards the email from their inbox to them-selves the mail is sync to the remote device, when the mail is received as a forwarded message to the user. Setting up a automated forwarding has proven unsuccessful.

Now those of our clients that are using BlackBerry technology are not having any issues receiving emails generated from our application through Excahnge using Activesync.

Our application is installed typically as I have described in my initial email, where emails are sent in the form of plain text emails, or emails with PDF attachments to vendors outside the organization or in-house vendors inside the organization.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 4:42 PM
  • I understand. Overall, this is just not a good scenario all around. There are generally two options here, and I'm somewhat obligated to encourage to you to pursue #1...

1. Update your code to use a newer API to send e-mails. (And I realize this is probably logistically painful at this point).

2. We can investigate the root cause of this further, but please open a support incident if you wish to do so. Some of this you can do yourself if you choose. You can download a MAPI utility, like http://www.codeplex.com/MFCMAPI and then get a list of all of the MAPI properties on a message that won't sync. Then forward it to the same user and get another list of the properties and compare the two. Given the age of MSMAIL.DLL, you should find that those e-mails have a much smaller subset of MAPI properties on them. There's no magic answer as to which properties may be related to the problem, but you can play around with this by deleting properties of a good message until it breaks. Of course, it may be specific to the contents of the properties, too, and not just whether the properties are there.

The big question for #2 is what can be done about it? It may be that ActiveSync was designed in such a way that this just doesn't work. Or, it also may be that these types of messages were just never considered, so it could be considered a bug. Or, maybe there is nothing technically wrong with ActiveSync, but rather Apple's implementation of that. You had mentioned that Blackberry devices sync these messages OK, but last I heard RIM is not using ActiveSync, so I don't think that's a valid comparison.

Either way, even if we do find out root cause, I'd venture to guess the chance of having this fixed would be pretty slim. If you do open a support incident, I was told the ActiveSync support team would look at this, so please let me know the incident number and I can make sure it gets to the right place.

Thanks!

• Proposed as answer by Bill Ja - MSFT Tuesday, October 11, 2011 4:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Thursday, October 20, 2011 12:01 PM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 8:16 PM