none
Git changes in VS2015 Update 2

Question

• After installing Update 2, I noticed some changes to the "Changes" tab of team explorer.

Before the update, we had an "Untracked files" section, which was very helpful to keep things clean, and so we were able to see what we had actually changed. With this update, it looks like that section is gone, and all of these settings files, exe, dll, etc. are now visible in the generic "Changes" section. 

This will make it quite difficult to find all of our changed files to stage and commit.

Is there something I'm missing, or will we need to just downgrade back down to Update 1 for now until this issue is resolved?

Thanks!

Friday, April 01, 2016 4:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Jesse,

Since the update 2 was released for few days, no official document shared us the new features for the "Chnages" section.

But I really could repro this issue in my side using the VS2015 with update 2, it really have no "Untracked files" section.

Since I could repro this issue, to get the issue confirmed and diagnose by product team, would you please create connect report for it? You will get email notification for update. http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx

So we could get the latest information from the product team.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, April 04, 2016 6:22 AM
  • Same issue here.  Please fix.  
    Monday, April 04, 2016 4:09 PM
  • @Gregory Prosch,

Would you mind submitting a feedback for this issue?

If you submit it, please share us the link here, so we could also get the latest information from the product team.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, April 05, 2016 2:11 AM
  • Also have the same problem. It's a real PITA for me since my test project has hundreds of data files that should not be tracked. They make it hard to locate the files that need updating (staging) now that staging isn't automatic. So after you modify several files you can't just check them in. You first have to find them in the mess, right click, and stage them. Yuck.

At a minimum untracked files and tracked but modified and unstaged files should be grouped.

After some experimenting it seems that untracked files are automatically shown, staged, and checked in unless you choose the stage specific files then the default is to only check those in. To reduce clutter you can group select files or directories you don't want to show up by right clicking and selecting "ignore." They are added to the .gitignore file. So that's what I've done. The new approach lets you just stage the changed files you are interested in checking in which can be handy at times.
    • Edited by vcangel Wednesday, April 06, 2016 8:12 PM
    Tuesday, April 05, 2016 5:16 AM
  • I submitted an issue via Microsoft Connect: Untracked files section missing from Git Changes dialog

This is a really, really bad issue for all VS Git users.  This one needs a quick fix.

Monday, April 11, 2016 4:46 PM
  • I will help you vote it, thanks for sharing us the report link here, Gregory Prosch!

Sincerely,

Jack

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 2:58 AM