none
how to make column in a list searchable? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi -

I am using on-premise version of SharePoint 2013.  I have a list that has a column named 'Contract ID' set as type single line of text.   When I search for the contract number, i always get the same results:   'your search returned no results'.

This link seems helpful and talks about making the managed property searchable. 

http://www.eliostruyf.com/making-columns-searchable-for-the-list-or-library-searchbox/

I created a new managed property called ContractNumber (in Search Administration > Search Schema).    If I click on Crawled Properties, I can see the property name, but I am not sure how to map this property to the list column.  

Any suggestions?   thanks

Monday, July 25, 2016 11:50 AM

All replies

• You don't need to do any mapping to the list column, the crawled property would be created based on your list column so no explicit mapping required on that part. You need add the crawled property mapping only to the managed property you have created. Use the newly created managed property "ContractNumber" in the search query.

---
    Rajesh
    rjesh.com| @rjesh
    You don't need to buy me a beer, if helpful just smile, vote, and mark it as answer.

Monday, July 25, 2016 1:42 PM
  • hmm, marking the main characteristics as searchable should allow search to work without having to use the property in the search query.   I don't expect any of our users to remember what the property name is either.

after looking into it further, it looks like the ContractNumber column was created to auto-generate a value for each new list item.   I am not sure if this can even be mapped.  

Monday, July 25, 2016 2:41 PM