Comparison between Biztalk and IBM Integration Bus RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello everyone,

I come from several years of experience in the IBM integration/middleware domain, however, I am curious about Biztalk.
    Can anyone with recent experience on both provide an educated, objective and brief comparison on what are the key differences between those two powerful solutions?
    And if you have any example(s) on areas or scenarios where one is able to do something significantly better than the other?
    Or example(s) to which scenarios would incentivize you to pick one over the other?

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 2:16 PM

All replies

• Hi Omer,

Thank you for posting this question on MSDN forum.

Is there any specific scenarios do you have, because BizTalk have a great feature to connect different applications and can transform any format of message.

To be frank if you ask any BizTalk folks to choose best tool between 'BizTalk' and 'IBM Integration' then they will choose 'BizTalk' only, and viseversa for IBM Integration folks.

Thanks,
    Kamlesh Kumar

If my reply is helpful please mark as Answer or vote as Helpful.

My blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 3:14 PM
  • Actually, for a long time, WebSphere was the only meaningful competition to BizTalk Server and the Microsoft Integration Stack.  

Realistically, both are are in long term mode now so, unless you're a 100% IBM/Java shop, BizTalk is still the best platform due to the features of the full stack.

The only meaningful competitor to BizTalk right now is Azure Integration Services and the rest of Azure.

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 4:08 PM
  • Hello Kamlesh,

Thanks for your reply.

I am aware that both are in the market leaders for this domain, both products offer the basic set of most common connectors, both offer you ways to model and transform your data among several other things.

I totally understand that, I come from an IBM integration suite background, and I am totally in comfortable in implementing whatever what I have needed so far, so it's not a specific scenario that I am asking about. 

I am hoping that someone around here would have a hands-on experience on both and would give me some facts that lead to their organization choosing Biztalk over IBM for example, or something that they had trouble with on platform but it was out of the box or easy to implement on the other. I can judge the IBM part but not the Biztalk part. Or some key features that are offered on one but not the other. Anything of those sorts.

I have posted here because I found little to no useful input in regards to this topic on the web, and becoming proficient enough to judge would take a while, I wanted to know more, so I thought that this would be the right place to ask.

Thanks.

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 4:14 PM
  • There would be very few if any people that would have hands-on experience with both BizTalk and IBM Service Bus.

However here is one article that may help

Comparison of business integration software - Wikipedia

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 1:36 AM
  • Hi,

I have hands-on experience in BizTalk and IBM Integration Bus. I started with BizTalk and IIB later on. In IIB we use nodes and in BizTalk we use Adapters to connect. What I feel is BizTalk and it's tools are more user friendly and easy to handle. For example, to implement some business logics in IIB we should go for Message flows using compute nodes and write ESQL code to accomplish it, whereas BizTalk Orchestrations with it's range of default available shapes makes the work easier. However for extensibility we also have the expression shape. For Transformation we have the graphical mapping which is more easy to use in BizTalk, provided with n number of Functoids (which are small resuable snippets of code), whereas in IIB i don't mostly use the Mapping node for transformation rather I would choose Compute node. In addition to above, BizTalk's pub/sub architecture or mechanism, it's wide range of extensible adapters to Cloud are few things which i think that makes BizTalk most preferable. Whatever solution we achieve in BizTalk, can be done in IIB as well.

Those were some cases in which i felt BizTalk is better, just shared from my working experience.

Thanks,

Vallirani K

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 6:35 PM