WinSock Support for Visual Studio Express 2013 for Metro Apps

Question

• Hi,

We are developing a Metro application for Windows 8.1. We would like to use WinSock library for discovering Bluetooth devices and for authentication.

On desktop version application, WinSock works well for our requirement.

In one of the blog posts we read that:

Winsock is supported for Visual Studio Express 2013 with update-3.

We have VS Express 2013 with update -4.

Following are the issues we faced:

1. WinSock functions for Bluetooth discovery do not work. To be more precise, Although, WSAStartup() returns success. The subsequent functions like : WSALookuoServiceBegin() returns error like WSAService-Set not supported. (Error code 10108).

2. As WSALookupServiceBegin() fails, BT device enumeration cannot proceed.

Can you let us know following points:

1. As claimed in the blog (link above), whether WinSock is supported from VS Express 2013 update 3 onwards.?

2. Whether WinSock works for Bluetooth device discovery or is it for some other names spaces.?

3. Whether having VS Express 2013 Update -4 enable us to work with WinSock for Metro apps?

Thanks.

• Edited by WinApps100 Friday, May 8, 2015 10:58 AM
    • Moved by Mike Danes Saturday, May 9, 2015 6:56 AM store specific
    Friday, May 8, 2015 10:47 AM

Answers

All replies

• The complete list of Store C++ Win32/COM APIs is here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/dn424765.aspx

If your desired API isn't in this list, it isn't supported for Store apps.  That said, you can use most any API you want if you aren't going to upload it to the Store.

We have supported Bluetooth APIs here:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.devices.bluetooth.aspx

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, May 11, 2015 1:18 PM
    • 1. WinSock functions for Bluetooth discovery do not work. To be more precise, Although, WSAStartup() returns success. The subsequent functions like : WSALookupServiceBegin() returns error like WSAService-Set not supported. (Error code 10108).

2. As WSALookupServiceBegin() fails, BT device enumeration cannot proceed.

Can you let us know following points:

1. As claimed in the blog (link above), whether WinSock is supported from VS Express 2013 update 3 onwards.?

2. Whether WinSock works for Bluetooth device discovery or is it for some other names spaces.?

3. Can I use VS Express 2013 Update - 4 to work with WinSock for Metro apps?

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 12:22 PM
  • Vbiru - I've already answered this question for you, under your other account:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/abae37a3-b141-484f-8ddd-8fe8c696721b/winsock-support-for-visual-studio-express-2013-for-metro-apps?forum=winappswithnativecode

Please refer to the answer in that post.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 7:12 PM